Car & Driver tests the '05 GT

Woodsrat

Established Member
I just got the December issue of Car & Driver, and they have a full test on the '05 GT. They gave it a great review. Ford did a hell of a job on the 3 valve SOHC V-8, 13.8 in the quarter, versus 14.0 for the quad cam Mach 1. Pretty weird when Mercedes is now going from the 3 valve SOHC V-8 to a 4 valve set-up for performance. The new GT's speed limiter cuts in at 149 mph.

They loved the suspension and said the solid rear axle, located by three links plus a panhard rod & swaybar, felt like IRS. .87gs on the skidpad. Brakes were medium. 5 speed sometimes balks, must be a Tremec.

25gs sticker price + $625 freight is going to make it a performance bargain... about 4gs less than a Mach 1. An RSX Type S costs 1g less, and gets 7 more mpgs, but gets hammered by the GT in every performance test.

halo

Outta my way!!!
Established Member
I test drove an 05 stang GT this weekend. Overall, I thought it was pretty sweet. I thought I was gonna hate the interior, but it looked better in person. I liked the front end, but the rear looks like crap. The optional wheels aren't very attractive. With a nice set of wheels and a mild suspension drop, I think the new stang will look pretty darn mean. The shifter position was great! No reaching forward! The shifter was really sloppy, though. I'd have to get a Tri-ax or Pro 5.0.

As far as power, I've been spoiled by my Cobra. It was pretty quick, but way too quiet! :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a read a number of '05 Mustang magazine reviews and on paper it seems to be a winner for Ford. I saw my first one on the street a couple of days ago. It was silver and SO sweet that I almost followed the owner to get a closer look. I don't like the interior based on what I've seen in the mags, but maybe when I see it in person my mind will be changed. Overall I like it. Nice styling for the most part and nice power. The best Mustang ever made?

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
They can't drive if they got a 14.0 out of a MACH 1(if it was a 5spd,even not that great for an auto). :rolleyes:
I do think that the 05' GT will grow on me though. I like the rear suspension setup. Just wish they could keep the weight down....its getting ridiculous.

Billy

Sapperstang

Established Member
14.0 Mach 1? Somebody cannot drive worth a damn! And if you believe those times then you need a reality check! See my sig for STOCK times. Most other Machs run similar or sometimes even faster times. 14.0 Mach 1................stupid.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
... I don't like the interior based on what I've seen in the mags, but maybe when I see it in person my mind will be changed. Overall I like it. Nice styling for the most part and nice power. The best Mustang ever made?

I've got to tell you, CobraBob, I thought the same thing about the interior, but when I saw it in person, I was impressed. Stop by a Ford dealer, I think you will change your mind like me!

hawkster

Established Member
Preordered my silver 2005 GT saturday with hood stripes, black interior and interior chrome upgrade and im ordering 10.5x18 on the rear and 9x18's on the front before the car even gets here cause fords rims suck :xpl:

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
hawkster said:
Preordered my silver 2005 GT saturday with hood stripes, black interior and interior chrome upgrade and im ordering 10.5x18 on the rear and 9x18's on the front before the car even gets here cause fords rims suck :xpl:

Skip the Ford stripe kit that only does the hood. Get a pro to do custom vinyl ones all the way down the bumper and rear, its under $500. The Ford genuine acessory ones stink.

Here's what a good vinyl man can do:

713601_15_full.jpg

713601_17_full.jpg

713601_18_full.jpg

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Yes, a 14.0 is not what a Mach is capable of, but you have to keep in mind ALL the NUMEROUS variables in a quarter mile run. However, magazine drivers tend not to be the greatest drivers on average. Driver aside, you have the HUGE factors of elevation (air density), temperature, humidity, etc. Then throw track prep on top of that and a 13.4 can easily become a 14.0 if one is at sea level and the other at say Denver, Colorado. Just wanted to make sure everyone keeps those variables in mind.

13.8 for the Mustang sounds pretty good to me though, roughly a tick quicker than an LT1 Camaro and not too far from an LS1. For $25k it sounds like a winner. What is the mpg city/highway for the new Mustang?

VERY VERY nice looking car by the way KevinB! :rockon:

L8Braker

Established Member
I don't like the wheels that are coming on the 05 Gt's right now, but the wheels that are supposed to be available later next year sound pretty good. They are bullit replicas, that should make the car look better IMO. Seeing the Mustangs pictured at the SEMA show, wheels will definitly make the Stang look better.

drmustang

Banned
Mach1

The 13.54 I did in my 03 Mach1 was on an 87 degree, high humidity day(high density altitide or thin air). Track prep was poor to the point that wot could not be done until half way thru 2nd gear.

1/2 bent

Established Member
drmustang said:
The 13.54 I did in my 03 Mach1 was on an 87 degree, high humidity day(high density altitide or thin air). Track prep was poor to the point that wot could not be done until half way thru 2nd gear.

Still it shows how fast the new gt is. If You say they can do better with the mach then they can also do better with the new gt. Sweet.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
A couple people I know raced thier Mach 1 manual and an 05 gt auto multiple times(they both know how to run) and the 05(with 300 miles on it) stayed ahead untill about 90 where the mach began to creep back. :shrug: The 05 auto has 3.27's reduced from an 04's by the larger tire diameter, Should be pretty sweet with 3.90's or 4.10's.

Users who are viewing this thread