Car in for paint

BiLL1024

Established Member
I refinanced my car loan for another 3 years. I have 5k to play with.
I was thinking a Kenny Bell, but with 146k miles on the car, I will wait.
So I decided to just get it painted for now. I took it to the paint shop this past Monday. The paint had chips and cracks on the hood and roof. Dings in the doors, and a couple rust spots on it too. So it is time. Full paint bumper to bumper. Should look good.
With the money left over I think I will just do 3:55 or 3:73 gears for now, that should help wake it up performance wise.
After I pay this loan off in 3 years. I will get the motor freshened up and do a 331 stroker with forged internals. Or just freshen it up with a blower.
I have a long time to plan this out. Little at a time.
I will post a few pics when it is done.
Have a great spring!!!!!!
Bill

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
BiLL1024 said:
I refinanced my car loan for another 3 years. I have 5k to play with.
I was thinking a Kenny Bell, but with 146k miles on the car, I will wait.
So I decided to just get it painted for now. I took it to the paint shop this past Monday. The paint had chips and cracks on the hood and roof. Dings in the doors, and a couple rust spots on it too. So it is time. Full paint bumper to bumper. Should look good.
With the money left over I think I will just do 3:55 or 3:73 gears for now, that should help wake it up performance wise.
After I pay this loan off in 3 years. I will get the motor freshened up and do a 331 stroker with forged internals. Or just freshen it up with a blower.
I have a long time to plan this out. Little at a time.
I will post a few pics when it is done.
Have a great spring!!!!!!
Bill

how does a refi work on a car loan?

BiLL1024

Established Member
Here is how it worked out. I bought the car with a 3 year used car loan. After I paid on it just over 2 years, I went to the bank, still owed just under 3k. They gave me an 8k loan, value of the car, minus the 3k I owed, that gave my 5k to keep.
I didn’t know you could get a car loan and keep the money yourself to do as you please; well as long as you have the equity in it. It is like buying it from yourself.
Bill

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
How much is that re-paint going to cost you?

My car has 120K on the clock and needs some paint and body work, I'm considering a whole new exterior job.

BiLL1024

Established Member
I have been using this shop for at least 20 years, and he does excellent work.
He is doing all the bodywork and paint for $3500. I did get one other estimate for $5000. And they wanted to keep the car for 2-3 months. He is giving me a good price I believe.
The hood, roof and doors are a full strip. There were some gouges out of the front bumper too where it hit maybe a curb or something. Rear windows have to come out because of the cracked paint on the roof by the molding. Looks like a lot of work to me.
I did stop to see it, I sure hated to see it all apart like that.
He said, “It will take two weeks to finish”.
One week to go.
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
That sounds alot like my car. My a-pillar has been torqued and the paint bubbled up and cracked allowing moisture inside, it's starting to rust under there now. :( I have a couple of door dings and one that some jackass managed to do right on the lip of the finder flare on the right rear. :fm:

Some of the paint is noticeably fading and where I had the fenders repainted now looks brighter than the rest of the car when looked at up close. There are highway nicks and chips etc. and of course a cracked fog light lense.

I swear after I had some paint work done one time for vandalized badging it all went down hill. I had like 10 things happen from there in parking lots. Thank God I'm not in college anymore. :pepper:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
College parking lots suck big time. Thank goodness I had a beater 89 Subaru DL during college - I could slam that thing in anywhere and not worry about dings.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread