Car in my possession, dealer wants more $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDHUSL

Established Member
Have an issue-----

I took possession of my GT500 last Friday and went back Monday morning to sign all of the paperwork. I had my financing approved as soon as I had the VIN and had the money to the dealership 3 weeks before the car was delivered.

I added the Track Pack after the order was placed but BEFORE I ever got financing in line. When I asked my dealer to fax the paperwork to my banker they did and when I signed the papers noticed that the amount was lower than MSRP. I figured I was getting a "deal" because the dealer told me that he has been the #1 salesman at the dealership for over 10 years in a row because he has repeat customers and makes his money on sales volume. Made enough sense to me at the time.

Today I get a call saying that I owe them 3175 for the track pack + tax. As it turns out, the dealer ended up sending the wrong pricing over to the bank.

I know my deal was made, was in writing and signed off.

I emailed the dealer after we hung up and had a minute to process. I told him that there are dealers selling cars at/near invoice, at MSRP and some with ADM's. I asked if him selling me the car for 3K under sticker put the dealership at a loss position. I then asked how the service dept. was coming along with a replacement wheel for the D/F that arrived scratched.

Thoughts??

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I'm no finance expert, but to me, if you've signed paperwork and everything it would be an "oops" on their part and them count it as a loss. I'm pretty sure if they accidentally overcharged you $3K and paperwork was signed and deal was done most dealers wouldn't call you back and issue a refund.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
so with the added 3175 are you at MSRP for everything? sounds fair to me.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
If it puts the car at MSRP I see no issue with paying it if you want to, that's the price for the track pack, and it's an honest mistake (Although one that should have been caught far before this).

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you knew full well that you had not been charged for the Track Pack when you signed the paperwork and just pushed it through figuring nobody would catch it. But now they did and they want their money.
I think just about everybody in this section realizes that there are NOT dealers selling "at/near invoice".
That being said, unless there is an errors and ommissions clause or provision in the contract you signed, the dealer may be out of luck if you aren't going to pay them for the equipment added to your car after you placed the order.
S.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
^ Kind of what I'm thinking. If you want to be a nice guy and pay it, you can, but since the deal is done I don't think they can MAKE you pay it. Like I said I'm no finance expert and don't know all the ins-and-outs of the paperwork signed, but...

outlw

Established Member
first is the paperwork was sent to state and title issued. You have nothing to worry about.

Mistakes happen but the dealer still made money...

I sell cars and know how it is.

If they take you to court and you have all your docs signed with the price you paid you will win.

sknapp302

Established Member
If you were go to court all they would have is the paper work of the transaction. That is the only binding agreement the courts will be interested in when they would make their decision. The dealership is supposed to be the experts here, not the consumer. What a major inconvenience it would be to have to refinance.

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
I am a finance manager for a car dealership. Did you sign all of the paperwork with the correct Vin # and miles? Did they do your financing or did you bring a check for the car? If you brought a check did the number on the check match the price on the buyers order and the numbers on the receipt they gave you? If you didn't do financing with them and brought the check for financing to them and they deposited the check, then you own the car. If they didn't deposit the check, then it could get a little tough, but if you have a receipt other than the buyers order proving you paid them, then again you own the car.....

Now out of good conscience if you know you got over for a package you didn't pay for and you know you kinda screwed them over, and you can sleep at night knowing so. Well then again, you own the car. If it was me and even if you got them dead to right, I would offer to split the cost because it wasn't your fault either. It would be the fair thing on both sides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jonesd

Established Member
depends if you like or dislike the guy that will lose his job if you don't pay it lol.

Nothing they can do really unless there is a clause in the contract.

farmboy90

Established Member
Honestly, I think you should pay it. The bad karma isn't worth it. It sounds like an honest mistake. To me it doesn't matter than you could win this legally. At the end of the day, you should do what is right--not what you think you can get away with.

outlw

Established Member
call the bank and see if the contract has funded.

I have seen stuff like this happen in the past..

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
I am a finance manager for a car dealership. Did you sign all of the paperwork with the correct Vin # and miles? Did they do your financing or did you bring a check for the car? If you brought a check did the number on the check match the price on the buyers order and the numbers on the receipt they gave you? If you didn't do financing with them and brought the check for financing to them and they deposited the check, then you own the car. If they didn't deposit the check, then it could get a little tough, but if you have a receipt other than the buyers order proving you paid them, then again you own the car.....

Now out of good conscience if you know you got over for a package you didn't pay for and you know you kinda screwed them over, and you can sleep at night knowing so. Well then again, you own the car. If it was me and even if you got them dead to right, I would offer to split the cost because it wasn't your fault either. It would be the fair thing on both sides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SDHUSL

Established Member
If they made money I'm fine with that. If they didn't make as much as they think they should have I take issue.

Don't tell me how you make money on volume sales and cutting deals to get repeat customers one minute then tell me that the deal I got is no longer valid and you want sticker.

Did I see the discrepancy? Yes. Did I think I was getting a "better deal" than the average guy? Hell yes. Check out my post here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...3/853737-thought-i-paid-msrp-but-i-didnt.html

Maybe I can ask how much money the dealership made on my 4.7% discount off MSRP and negotiate from there?

To me, it was the easiest sale they could make. I call the dealership, tell them what I want and add a track pack a week later. I pay for it 2-3 weeks before delivery and keep them updated on the status of my order. They had the cash in the bank before the invoice showed up for the car!

jonesd

Established Member
So you paid msrp - track pack right? So they are still making 2500- 3 grand off the sale?

People can talk about right and wrong but 3 grand is a lot to make off a single car sale, 6 grand is just greed imo.

EVEN with that being said, i suppose if you agreed to something then you should pay it...

Klinsmann18

The Hoss
Established Member
to piggyback on tonylittell, you need to tell us exactly what has been signed by you and dealer, and how you paid. I was in a similar situation in 2004 with the new GTOs at the time, except I didn't have a package not charged, but rather they put the wrong rate in the finance section. At first they asked to meet up with me to sign "extra paperwork they forgot". They offered to drive up near me and meet in a parking lot closer to my house, which I obliged. However, upon showing up after work I read the new contract quickly and saw they had entered the higher rate and my payment went up $20. I told them I wasn't signing it, and she got real huffy and said I had to. Her not knowing my brother-in-law was currently a sales manager elsewhere, I told her why I didn't have to. She still didn't like it. End point of story,they were shit outta luck on their part. They messed up the paperwork we both agreed on and signed at closing and they had to eat the difference.

You may be in a similar situation depending on what you have signed and in hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread