car insurance- does your insurance cover your car ...

the ambush

Established Member
...if something happens on the drag strip?

my insurance company didn't seem to like it when i told them i might occasionaly go to the track. I dont think they will cover any damages caused on a race track even if it amateur/occasional/non competitive.

any thoughts?:??:

the ambush

Established Member
actually yes !

but aren't you all, who race with your daily drivers, a bit worried when you get on the drag strip?

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Chances are there is an exclusion clause in your policy against "events of a competitive nature".

Which would be the dragstrip. Or even an autocross.

Summation: your car probably isn't covered should something happen at the dragstrip or track. Your mods probably aren't covered, either.

Read the fine print on your contract and see exactly what is/isn't covered.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Insurance excludes all timed/racing events. It also excludes breakage that could be covered under a warranty.

Do not tell your insurance agent about any timed activity you may attend.

Do not tell the service manager about any racing event you may attend. He can void your warranty in the database.

Several year ago, someone wrecked their car at the dragstrip (it hit the guardrail). Knowing insurance would be a problem, he had it towed to a guardrail on the street several miles from the strip. He was arrested after filing an insurance claim. It seems someone with the insurance company was at the dragstrip that night and saw the incident.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread