Car Insurance Question

Cobra2001X

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I know there are quite a few LEOs that know their stuff on here. I'm currently living in Illinois and have car insurance purchased in my father's family plan. It's much cheaper than being on my own plan. I'll be moving to Florida sometime in the next few months. My dad will still be living in Illinois. Lets say my father pays the insurance on my car back home and I print the proof of insurance down in Florida. Is it legal to have insurance from Illinois while driving a Florida registered vehicle? Thanks in advance

Tylerc

Established Member
If the car is in your fathers name, you can tell the cops your just "borrowing" the car. Im not a leo but see no problem with this way?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
The question is...does the insurance company have a problem with it?

The problem your father will run into is insuring a car not titled in his name that is registered in another state.

As long as your coverage meets state minimum requirements and is current Law enforcement will not have an issue.

Cobra2001X

Banned
The car is registered under my own name. The insurance policy is in a family plan that lists me as the primary driver and owner of the vehicle

txyaloo

Established Member
The car is registered under my own name. The insurance policy is in a family plan that lists me as the primary driver and owner of the vehicle

You should be able to insure the vehicle at your address in Florida. I have vehicles under the same plan insured at different addresses. The insurance company doesn't care. They just want to know where the vehicle is garaged or spends the majority of its time so they can adjust their rates to match the risk.

Cobra2001X

Banned
The question is...does the insurance company have a problem with it?

The problem your father will run into is insuring a car not titled in his name that is registered in another state.

As long as your coverage meets state minimum requirements and is current Law enforcement will not have an issue.

You should be able to insure the vehicle at your address in Florida. I have vehicles under the same plan insured at different addresses. The insurance company doesn't care. They just want to know where the vehicle is garaged or spends the majority of its time so they can adjust their rates to match the risk.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll contact my insurance agent and see if this is possible with our plan.
EDIT:
I think I would still have to keep the car registered here in Illinois in order for this to work.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/out-of-state-car-registration.shtml

This website says that a Florida agent must insure your car in order to register it.
So the question is, can I work and live in Florida while driving a car registered and insured in Illinois?

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Technically the vehicle must be insured in the state that it is present the most. this is technically insurance fraud. having your vehicle registered and insured in one state but being in another most of the time, is not legal. becareful

Cobra2001X

Banned
Technically the vehicle must be insured in the state that it is present the most. this is technically insurance fraud. having your vehicle registered and insured in one state but being in another most of the time, is not legal. becareful

Yeah unfortunately the insurance for my WRX Daily is about 3 times as more expensive when I get an insurance plan myself as I'm not 25 yet.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Yeah unfortunately the insurance for my WRX Daily is about 3 times as more expensive when I get an insurance plan myself as I'm not 25 yet.

It may be more expensive, but it's not gonna get you into a jam if you get caught. Choose wisely.

Cobra2001X

Banned
It may be more expensive, but it's not gonna get you into a jam if you get caught. Choose wisely.

Yeah I still got a few months before I move so I'll have to do some research. If it doesn't work out, sell the WRX and get a DD thats cheaper to insure. Thanks for the replies everyone

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
Gotta love having cars that are powerful and fast at a young age and not being able to afford the insurance on your own! lol. My brother is about to take over insurance payments on my old 02 GT stang and my dad's 03 vert cobra as well as a bike all while being the lovely age of 23 with a not so good driving record

Let's see how long that lasts while renting, paying all the ins, necessisties and such

LS2GTO

Established Member
You are supposed to insure the car where it's parked and driven, not necessarily where it's registered. There are a few exceptions to this rule, like say you're a student and in a different state than where the car is registered, that's ok. But if you move indefinitely to a new location you are expected to insure it there.

Though I know people that still have their insurance at home with their parents while living in the city alone. Not going to be a problem usually unless you have a couple of insurance claims with the incident having happened in the new location, at which point the carrier might start questioning your location and do an investigation.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Florida tends to be 3 times more expensive to insure a car than in most other states.
Then you add in the "new resident" registration fee which was $200 last I checked, plus the annual registration fee and title charge...........Florida isn't worth all that money, trust me, I was there for 3 years. Find another state lol

prostkr

Established Member
In Florida this is possible. My room mate has his insurance on a policy shared with his mother, his cars are both titled and plated in Florida his insurance is from upstate New York her cars are plated for New york. As long as your insurance company is informed (the rates will apply to wherever the car is) you can keep your insurance. Students and military are also allowed some additional benefits.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
OP, please do not listen to people who just post stories without fact.

Unless you are in the military your vehicle must have Florida Insurance or certified by a Florida Agent.

Florida DMV Website said:
Why must out-of-state residents have Florida proof of insurance before obtaining a license plate or registration renewal?

Florida insurance is required to meet the requirements of Florida Statutes. Only insurance issued or countersigned by a Florida agent is electronically reported to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for verification purposes.

Cobra2001X

Banned
Gotta love having cars that are powerful and fast at a young age and not being able to afford the insurance on your own! lol. My brother is about to take over insurance payments on my old 02 GT stang and my dad's 03 vert cobra as well as a bike all while being the lovely age of 23 with a not so good driving record

Let's see how long that lasts while renting, paying all the ins, necessisties and such

Yeah insurance for sports cars is a pain when you're young. :(

Florida tends to be 3 times more expensive to insure a car than in most other states.
Then you add in the "new resident" registration fee which was $200 last I checked, plus the annual registration fee and title charge...........Florida isn't worth all that money, trust me, I was there for 3 years. Find another state lol
I'm sure it won't be too bad. Illinois has way higher taxes on everything.

In Florida this is possible. My room mate has his insurance on a policy shared with his mother, his cars are both titled and plated in Florida his insurance is from upstate New York her cars are plated for New york. As long as your insurance company is informed (the rates will apply to wherever the car is) you can keep your insurance. Students and military are also allowed some additional benefits.

Did he ever have any incidents where his car insurance came into play? I'm wondering if maybe while this is possible it might end up screwing me over in the end. FordSVTFan's source shows that the insurance must be from a Florida agent.

Users who are viewing this thread