Car is bucking a bit

wildosvt04

Established Member
Hi all, Just picked up a Sonic 04 ZX5 the other day. The car runs great minus this bucking it has while in a higher then wanted gear and giving it gas to accell. Its like a 'dead-pull-dead-pull' type of feeling. Its normally under 2K when it does this. Ive looked at the DSI clip and it appears to be good (I have browsed SVTP and FocalJet alot the past few days) but I could not find a topic discussing this issue. No MIL light. 41K miles.

What other things can I look for. The only other thing I could think of is, Im on my first full tank (the dealer was kind enough to leave it under half for me!) so Im unaware if they ran a low grade fuel in it. I put 93 in and some fuel injector cleaner and gas line antifreeze to absorb any possible water in the tank so far as a quick fix (I had both products on hand already).

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Wildo

wildosvt04

Established Member
Sounds like a tuning issue. OR some badly worn out coils. Good luck! E-

Thanks for taking the time to chime in.She has 41K miles on her fwiw. I went yesterday and bought a drop in K&N and a can of some CRC mass air cleaner. My first little trip last night showed promise. I'll no more in a little while.

Thanks again,

Wildo

BTW, This is one fun little car!

wildosvt04

Established Member
The cleaning of the MAF and dropping the K&N in made a HUGE difference. Im even happier with this thing! woot!

wildosvt04

Established Member
Was the problem solved with cleaning the maf?

Yes it was. It was either that or a dirty air filter being I replaced it with the K&N. I did them both at the same time (K&N was dropped in fresh out of the box). But the paper filter was not really THAT bad. But she pulls like a raped ape now.:pepper:

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
Hi all, Just picked up a Sonic 04 ZX5 the other day. The car runs great minus this bucking it has while in a higher then wanted gear and giving it gas to accell. Its like a 'dead-pull-dead-pull' type of feeling. Its normally under 2K when it does this.

just out of curiousity ,why are u even running this car under 2000rpm?????

wildosvt04

Established Member
:dw:
just out of curiousity ,why are u even running this car under 2000rpm?????

The issue happened right around 2K rpm.

In my town, The speed limit is 35mph most of the way thru. Then it goes up to 45mph. While in 4th cruising along at 35mph I accel. to make the 45mph limit. I pressed the throttle good, And the car was bucking. It should not have done it. Its gone now.

Hell, It was even a dog in first gear all the way thru the rpm range come to find out. It actually runs right now. Its funny really, Because I thought it ran pretty good until I found the bucking issue (it never showed its face during the test drive).

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
This happened to me yesterday, and I had given the car new oil, oil filter, and cleaned the MAF just the day before. I have a Focus-Power Predator tune, too. It happens just once in a random while; I have no idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread