Car is DONE...Clutch slips bad....

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
Yeah I got the motor back in the car about a month ago. We yanked it cuz it had a tick that turned out to be a bad lifter.

We put it back together with better stuff and this is what I have now. JE pistons (flat top), Manley rods, balanced, ARP rod bolts,and head studs, Cometic head gaskets, Deleted IMRC's, no smog.... THat's the motor. We also Added a 3.25" pulley and some 50 pounders and an 80mm pro-m. Car runs like a raped ape but won't put out more than 5 pounds in 3rd or 4th cuz the clutch is lipping so bad.... What do you guys run?

I was thinking either a Spec stage 3 or centerforce dual friction?

Thanks Nick:rockon:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I'd put a stage 3 or a stage 5 in it. the stage 3 isn't that bad, you can slip it a little. Never driven a stage 5, but its a race clutch :-D

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
Yeah....I'm not sure cuz they say the stage 4 or 5 is the race clutches. One reason I'm not sure If I want a spec clutch is that It'll blow tranny's too peices Cuz they grab so hard. I am planning on getting a tko this winter but I also plan on getting a bigger power adder too so....

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Well, my friend burnt up a Centerforce in like 10k miles. Don't know if that is common with them or if was just an anomaly or what. It did grab nice though... when it actually grabbed.

Heh..

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
if your gonna get a tko, go ahead with a stage 3 or 4. the stage 4 supports 680ft/lbs and the stage 5 supports 1100ft/lbs :eek:

Kazmonator

Established Member
Originally posted by Tabres
Well, my friend burnt up a Centerforce in like 10k miles. Don't know if that is common with them or if was just an anomaly or what. It did grab nice though... when it actually grabbed.

Heh..
Yup, i had the same problem with my Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch. Mine only lasted 10.000Kms which is about 6500 miles. Not too good in my opinion.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Originally posted by 97 svt cbra
doug your one crazy mother

good job:beer:

finally...someone that knows me for me...now if only you could come in a female version :thumbsup:

I'd just rather over do it than underdo it and then have to do it over with better parts 2months down the road.

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
Oh.... One more thing....

Doesn't my k-member have to come out too change it? I have longtubes and that means that one of them has to come out for the tranny too come out and you can't get the headers off without dropping the kemember right? And....Is there enough clearance to pull the tranny off the motor when it's still on the car anyways....

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
I run a Spec stage 3 and it works fine. It will take some breaking it before you will be able to slip it though. I'm running a T-trim with a 2.7 pulley. Not sure how much boost that is because my gauge is broke........ :rockon:

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
It sucks cuz it seems like so many people have so many problems with about every clutch that is out there.....

I'm kinda leaning away from spec clutches cuz they hit so hard....

Dino S.

Established Member
Fatal, Did you do the work yourself? I ask because i am about to rebuild my 4.6 and while i've done some engine rebuilding i've never done one of these.

I ordered :
Eagle H-beams, Diamond Pistons (5cc), file to fit rings, main and rod bearings, arp main and head studs, and oil pump gears. Anything else I'll need that you know of off the top of your head? (except head gaskets, lol)

Dino

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
Not really... You reuse all the gaskets on everything else... You will need new header gaskets. I did do most of the work myself....Me and a friend tore it down to the shortblock and just checked the main and rod bearing to see if they were fine and then we put it back together and the only thing I didn't do was time in the chains and cams and such....It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be....

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
you will need new front and rear seals, new head gaskets (DO NOT REUSE THEM!!!!).

Get a new high volume oil pump. Its 60$...pocket chagne compared to what you've already spent.

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Blew up a centerforce in 5k miles, King Cobra lasted a while until sticky tires were used and then it went out qwik. My friend has a McLeod clutch behing his 377 stroker motor w/ a 6lb Vortech and has nothing but good things to say about it. He drives the wheels off the car too.

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
Yeah... I think the car is gonna be driven the way it is for the rest of the summer and next year it'll have a mcleod street twin, a TKO and a built rearend...I think I'll just buy a new daily driver to keep me occupied for the meantime....Thinking about getting an EVO...

Users who are viewing this thread