Car is popping out or gear....need help

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
My car started popping out of gear yesterday. I was sitting at a stop sign in 1st gear with the clutch in and it just popped out. I used second gear to take off, but it did the same thing when shifting to 3rd. When it happens there is a loud thump sound and it will not go back into 1st or 3rd. Reverse is doing the same thing, but it is not as bad. I found that I can use 3rd and rev. if I hold the shifter until I get moving and it stays. However 1st gear grinds and kicks out everytime.

My tob has been chirping/squealing since around 4k miles and I have a little over 12k on it now. Earlier this week it started to get louder and more intense. Could the tob be causing this problem? I have a triax installed and I am going to check the stop bolts to make sure they are not loose. I am going to take it to the dealer on mon/tues to get the tob fix, stall fix, and new foglights. I hope that the tob fix and new trans. fluid will cure this problem.

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
Bad synchronizer rings on those gears are causing your fork to jump off of the gear. You might be able to get the dealer to replace the transmission, or just have it rebuilt with stronger/better parts if availiable.

DontGetBit

Established Member
Whats a rebuild going to cost? I hope that its not the transmission. It has shown no signs of any problems and just started yesterday. Thanks for the info.

DontGetBit

Established Member
Nevermind found the problem

I checked out my shifter to see if anything could be out of place or loose. Well here is what I found :bash: :cuss: :loser:
1638bad.jpg

The stop bolts for the shifter were both loose. The front one turned all the way out. This explains why I could not get the car in 1st, 3rd, and rev. I guess 5th is not as far foward as the others. I was actually very glad to see this problem. I was not ready to go through a long process of taking my car to the dealer to see about a new transmission. Instead I just broke out the 13mm wrench and problem solved. :rockon:

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
Guess I should have looked at the mods before opening my mouth. :bash: But, yeah. 1st, 3rd, 5th and reverse would pop out of gear if the stop on the Triax or any other aftermarket shifter is not set-up properly. I've heard of some guys just leaving them out as the Tremec T-56 has internal stops.

DontGetBit

Established Member
When I installed the shifter about 6 months ago, I made sure they were tight. I did not have them set and just screwed them all the way in. I guess they worked themselves loose over time and eventually came out enought to hit the shifter handle. I may just remove them or put a nut on the other end (outside of the shifter base) to keep them away from the handle. Oh well, I may feel a little dumb after seeing the "MAJOR" problem, but for once I was happy to feel like an idiot. :loser:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
take them out, when i installed my mgw the instructions said they were optional. i left them out and it works great. glad you didn't hurt anything

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Use 'em as a backup rather than depend solely on the internal stops. Just get them set a hair past the internal stops, and loctite it.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Heh, that's the first thing I would have told you to check. I was getting some chattering one time and it was because I tried to see if I could use the rubber boot to isolate some shifter sound. Unfortunately the boot was getting pinched between the bolt and the handle. The gears weren't engaged all the way which caused the chatter. Took the boot off and no problem.

Glad to see it was a easy fix. I know that feeling of thinking something is broken. Two weeks ago my belt got shredded and I heard some loud thumping. Car power died and I thought the clutch was toast. Just a belt though.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
George at MGW has talked to Tremac and they say DON'T use shifter stops!! The internal stops are sufficient.

Glad to see you caught it when you did. I hope there wasn't any other damage to the tranny because of improper engagement.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
George at MGW has talked to Tremac and they say DON'T use shifter stops!! The internal stops are sufficient.

I got that same info from two different Tremec dealers (Liberty's Gears being one of them)

I posted it here and was ridiculed by some folks but I'll stick with recommendations from the experts :)

mcflysvt04

Established Member
I had the same problem. first they said it was the thrust bearing but after they opened it up it was all mess up so they replaced the whole tranny two weks ago. Since then no problems. Keep in mind my car is high mileage for an 04 Cobra 21k in less than a year

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
JB said:
I got that same info from two different Tremec dealers (Liberty's Gears being one of them)

I posted it here and was ridiculed by some folks but I'll stick with recommendations from the experts :)

I agree JB. Tremac says REALLY ugly things happen when these things pop out of gear under load. I backed my shifter stops clear off.

midtex01gt

Established Member
I was running a z06 just a while ago, and my cobra popped out of 3rd after I adjusted the cable to engage sooner. Do i need to work on the adjustment a bit better? or just pull off the shifter boot to check for stops?

The clutch doesn't even have 2k on it....and shifter forks are all less than 4k on it..

midtex01gt

Established Member
well after messing with my clutch adjustment to the max in and out, I decided to check my stops as well. THEY WERE ALSO ALL THE WAY OUT!!! I have a short throw in the car and also noticed that the car didn't want to 'line up' in gear, there was a bit of grind in some gears, and I never could get the clutch into its 'sweet spot' to get the best grip and performance.....

...PROBLEM SOLVED!

Oh I used a 1/2" to fix my issue....

Users who are viewing this thread