Car is squeaking please help!

Red3

Established Member
OK so as I left for work this morning I hear this squeaking noise coming from the driver's rear side of the car. This squeak occurs when the car is rolling only and it doesn't matter if it's bumpy or even ground. The sound sounds a lot like an old squeaky tennis shoe. Twice on decel in gear with me not being on the brakes I heard a chirping noise that sounded exactly like a little bird chirping in the morning. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my car, how to fix it, and how much I'm looking at having to spend please? Thanks in advance for any help

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
ill shoot you a pm with my address, cause its just junk now. so ill scrap it out for you:)

no
my first thought would be TOB or brakes.

Red3

Established Member
ill shoot you a pm with my address, cause its just junk now. so ill scrap it out for you:)

no
my first thought would be TOB or brakes.

Sounds good to me. Ill ship it out to you when my bank account gets bigger lol.

rear brake pads or a u joint

What would the brakes have to do with it? What u joint? Would me adding a fore clutch quadrant and adjuster on Monday have anything to do with it? I also added ldc freeplay mod and I have it set so that the clutch starts to engage 2-3in off the floor

cmefly

Established Member
Well,lets see, your rear brake pads might have a wear indicator on them that can rub on the rotor causing a squeak or a chirping noise.Is it from the rear like you said or is it from the bellhousing area of your tranny?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
its weird, but drive line noises sometimes travel, so the noise sounds like its in one place when its really coming from the other side of the car.
so sometimes they are a real PITA to find.

but now that you said you added a clutch adjuster im really leaning towards the TOB now.
clutch in or out? does the noise change?

Last edited:

Red3

Established Member
Well,lets see, your rear brake pads might have a wear indicator on them that can rub on the rotor causing a squeak or a chirping noise.Is it from the rear like you said or is it from the bellhousing area of your tranny?

I don't think it's from the bellhousing area but it's kind of hard to tell from the driver's seat.

its weird, but drive line noises sometimes travel, so the noise sounds like its in one place when its really coming from the other side of the car.
so sometimes they are a real PITA to find.

but now that you said you added a clutch adjuster im really leaning towards the TOB now.
clutch in or out? does the noise change?

Noise does not change with clutch in or out but remember the noise only occurs when the car is moving. I've been out of town all weekend but when I get home I'm getting out the video camera so yall can hear this noise.

Red3

Established Member
Just jacked the car up no noise when the tire was turning but was a little bit of play in the wheel. Crawled underneath the car and had Granddaddy shake the wheel and I found out that my Upper Control Arm bolts are loose.

Took the car down the road to a local tire shop and he saw the same thing. Thought it was a rubber bushing gone bad and looked at me like I was stupid when I told him there wasn't any rubber bushings anywhere up there. He believes this to be the problem.

Agree or disagree?

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
I had sort of the same problem. For me though it was the whole hub/spindle assembly. Tommy Vaughan said it was $1000 but I found it for $150. All of the little ball bearings in the hub were completely messed up. I also have worn bushing on the upper control arm. Bought a new bushing today and attempted to install but had no luck. Can't get the old bushing off for some reason. Anybody ever done this before? I need help also

jshertx

Established Member
It's amazing how it can be the littlest things that need attention, and we automatically assume our u-joint is out or some other major snafu. LOL

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Glad you found it. Mine makes an annoying squeak sound and I think it is a bushing where the spindle bolts to the upper control arm. It looks like it had a boot that is ripped. I put some 3 in 1 oil (fixes any squeak) and it went away for a while. It is back now. Guess I need to fix it for real. It is the first thing I thought of from your description, BUT, sometimes I am able to make it squeak by lightly bouncing the rear suspension while it is in the garage.

Bite Me

Established Member

Not sure on certain pads but my 04 civic did this. Was annoying as ****!

Users who are viewing this thread