Car leaking and pushing coolant

wahoo's 03

Established Member
My car has only 1000 miles and it started to leak coolant on the passenger side of the radiator only when the car is hot. Then the other day it pushed coolant out the cap, "to the best of my knowledge this is where it came from" while I was driving but temp stayed below the halfway mark. A cloud of steam came out the hood vent from it hitting hot parts in the engine bay.
I dont understand why its doing this since the car is not even coming close to overheating in any way. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their car. I'm going to take it to the dealer but wanted to get any info on the subject if anyone has had this happen..

Thanks Doug

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Sounds like a bad purge from the factory. Either do it yourself or bring it back to the dealer and fill them in. Not uncommon although I haven't had any problems.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Not good. Mine did this a couple of times without incident. Then it started blowing coolant out and would overheat, and shut down. 5 tow trips later and now Im having to lemon my car, as they have no clue why its overheating:cuss: Hope you have better luck. O and mine did it BONE STOCK.

jason

jimwood

Established Member
Probably your thermostat is sticking, I had a similar problem. Thermostat fixed it all, wouldnt have believed it myself. Others have had a similar experience. Take it in have them check it.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Mine did it in 40 degree temps. I filled the system per the 03 Cobra manual and it still over flowed. I took it into the dealer and they told me it was over filled. They serviced it, so far so good. They only filled it to 3/4 the overflow bottle but we'll see how it does in the 110+ Las Vegas heat this summer.

Let Ford try to make it right. From what I've seen the fill instructions in the manual are a bit off as far as how much fluid you need to put in.

Russyo

Established Member
Qoute-(BLUE POINT VACCUUM FILL!!!! Best way to fill cooling system with no air locks TRUST ME!!!)I would agree, sounds like there is just some air in your system, maybe what they call burping the system would help you. And maybe a new cap, cause aps have to hold 16psi, if they dont then they could leak liguid and air. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93550&highlight=burping
try this page and see if you can follow their instructions to help you burp the system, the thermostat is a low cost part, and it wouldnt hurt you to replace it. Let me know what happens!
Russyo!

NEVRL8

Established Member
sounds like good advice, my car did the same thing... little leak on the garage floor then a short of steam coming through the hood vents, gauge continued to read in the normal range. My dealer is on the road to the office, so I pulled in for them to check out what was going on. They replaced the rad cap as it wouldn't tighten properly and they simply topped-up the resevoir. The next day it didn't just steam, it overheated and dumped even more fluid than the first day. Back to the dealer to discover you cannot simply top-up the coolant that way. The system must be purged of all air because of high points in the system.

Not a big deal, but you must ensure the job is done correctly, or you'll be making a return visit to your dealer.

Pale Snake

Established Member
I went through the same hair pulling problem. It took me a couple of months to figure it out. Check coolant level, loosen lower overflow res cap (when cold) remove fill cap located up near the blower slowly fill to capacity through the TOP FILL CAP ONLY and monitor the reservoir fill line on the lower reservoir, when it reaches the top of the arrow retighten the lower cap, top off the remainder of space in the iron line and retighten the upper fill cap. Run the car with the heat on full tilt. Ok heres the important part. MONITOR THE LEVEL FOR THE NEXT 5 days or so as it takes time for the system to work the air out. Repeat the above process. Make sure you use a distilled water/ Ford antifreeze mix, I use 50/50 yellow. Ok this is what i ran into after doing that I ran into the same problem with the coolant running low and poof, A/C shuts off for no reason, limp mode, overheating, steam ,big mess , bigger embarassment and aggrevation. My lower radiator clamp was NOT HOLDING UNDER PRESSURE and would leak out fluid like an injector under certain pressure/conditions as I was driving so I could not detect it and would assume that the old dry coolant stains were from the overflow during overheating. I replaced the JUNK pressure hose clamps with traditional scew on type. I have not had the problem for two months after replacing the coolant in the above manner and replacing the clamps. Sorry so long but I know I was ready to turn my car back in, and was dancing in the street when I figured out the problem!

Good luck all!!

wahoo's 03

Established Member
Mine turned out to be the same problem with the hose clamp! I replaced them and all is well. You would think Ford would use a better style clamp!

Doug

Orange Poison

Established Member
Was the cap on tight? Reason being....the tech at my dealership forgot to tighten mine and it boiled over. Car didn't overheat thank god....but I just tighten and it never happened again.

Last edited:

Chain52

boiling over as well..03 cobra silver convt

Wow this is a great sight. I just bought an 03 silver convt cause ford is giving a 3,000 rebate. My car started boiling over at 471 miles stock been to dealer twice and going in monday a 3rd time. Do we have the same problem on the 04 because I would just assume get rid of this one and pay an additional 3000. At least with some persistency this problem can be fixed but man what a headache not to mention its kinda embarassing while driving around town, although I have not lost an impromtu street light quickie yet, even though my car is sick. Does everyone else smell burnt coolant while driving. I'm getting real tired of parking in my street as a local kid already hit it with his bike. Luckily the dentless guy could pull it right out. This is the worst car I have ever started off with. Even my POS Land Rover 2002 Discovery made it further till the a/c and passenger rear window broke. Please tell me this car will be as good as my slow 96 GT and 00 GT both convts.

Regards,
Chain:cuss:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
See if your intercooler pump is working.
Mine did the EXACT same thing last week...blown intercooler pump (10amp) fuse.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Re: boiling over as well..03 cobra silver convt

Originally posted by Chain52
Wow this is a great sight. I just bought an 03 silver convt cause ford is giving a 3,000 rebate. My car started boiling over at 471 miles stock been to dealer twice and going in monday a 3rd time. Do we have the same problem on the 04 because I would just assume get rid of this one and pay an additional 3000. At least with some persistency this problem can be fixed but man what a headache not to mention its kinda embarassing while driving around town, although I have not lost an impromtu street light quickie yet, even though my car is sick. Does everyone else smell burnt coolant while driving. I'm getting real tired of parking in my street as a local kid already hit it with his bike. Luckily the dentless guy could pull it right out. This is the worst car I have ever started off with. Even my POS Land Rover 2002 Discovery made it further till the a/c and passenger rear window broke. Please tell me this car will be as good as my slow 96 GT and 00 GT both convts.

Regards,
Chain:cuss:

I just went through this. My coolant reservoir was warped where it meets the cap. The cap itself was warped as well. I replaced both and the problem is resolved.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Originally posted by wahoo's 03
Mine turned out to be the same problem with the hose clamp! I replaced them and all is well. You would think Ford would use a better style clamp!

Doug

This is exactly what happened to me....the clamp broke, then finally fell off......eventhough the car had 500 miles on it!!!!. Then when the fixed it, they gave me a new hose and two new clamps....then they close the hood and crack the paint!

Users who are viewing this thread