Car over heating! help!!!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Ok so my over heating problem started after I installed the Procharger. After the install, every time I turn on the a/c the car starts to over heat. Running the car without the a/c on it runns fine. I had thought that since I had used that stupid plugger Procharger supplied for the coolant cross over that that was the issue. But I just replaced the plugger with a new temperature sensor and I am having the same problem. Any ideas?

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Did you burp the coolant system after the install? How do you know it overheats, do you have a aftermarket gauge telling you or you relying on the dummy dash gauge?

lou cypher

"Blower Only"
Established Member
The factory gauge is completely useless.... don't go off of it, get a real gauge or a scanner that will give real time info. My gauge would be a little past the L on normal & in reality was only about 198 to 200 degrees on my scangauge. Find out what your real temp is.....

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
^^^Ok well I will have to get one. In the mean time will my SCT XCAL 3 be able to tell me what temp I'm running? After work I'll give it a shot. Should probabaly readjust my fan settings too.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

lou cypher

"Blower Only"
Established Member
^^^Ok well I will have to get one. In the mean time will my SCT XCAL 3 be able to tell me what temp I'm running? After work I'll give it a shot. Should probabaly readjust my fan settings too.

I Don't think you can see real time info using an xcal 3, only data log. Adjusting fan settings will help a little, but, you don't want to set fan on speeds too low because they will never shut off. After all, stock thermostat is 197 degrees. To really take advantage of lower fan settings you should run a 180 degree thermostat.

As far as are you the only one with this problem of having a totally useless temp gauge that makes everyone think their cars are overheating?? Hell no!!
Do a search...this topic is covered almost daily... Until you find out what your temp really is...you can't really say your overheating, you really have no idea using the stock gauge...Good luck...

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The factory gauge is completely useless.... don't go off of it, get a real gauge or a scanner that will give real time info. My gauge would be a little past the L on normal & in reality was only about 198 to 200 degrees on my scangauge. Find out what your real temp is.....

+1

I'd try burping it again and see if that fixes it.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I Don't think you can see real time info using an xcal 3, only data log. Adjusting fan settings will help a little, but, you don't want to set fan on speeds too low because they will never shut off. After all, stock thermostat is 197 degrees. To really take advantage of lower fan settings you should run a 180 degree thermostat.

As far as are you the only one with this problem of having a totally useless temp gauge that makes everyone think their cars are overheating?? Hell no!!
Do a search...this topic is covered almost daily... Until you find out what your temp really is...you can't really say your overheating, you really have no idea using the stock gauge...Good luck...

No I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem where the car runs fine but once you turn the a/c on the car starts to over heat.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Well mine is have the exact problem except it started running hot/overheating (judging by the stock gauge) and when the summer heat really started to hit, I tried the a/c just to see if it would make the car run hotter or what and..... No a/c!!?? So I have no idea if they are related.

Recently I've noticed that blowby is coming through my bypass and onto the radiator and fan. Then the car gets so hot that I can see very light smoke coming from there.

The smoke does not smell sweet and my coolant level is always full when the car cools. And I cannot find any leaks nor do I have any reason to believe there is a leak or bubble. I have burped the system like 5 times in every fashion imaginable and still it runs like this.

I'm waiting for some money to get a real temp gauge on there. As well as a breather setup for the pcv so to solve the blowby going everywhere from the open bypass.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
i just spent 2 hours installing a 170 degree thermostat lastnight!! I burped my system like 6 times. Very tricky on the burping!! get a funnel and jam it in the crossover. Fill it half way with your coolant and start the car. Watch all the air bubble out then let idle with heater on full blast and wait till thermostat opens. Once opened give it like 5 minutes and shut it off. Leave funnel on crossover tube and as the coolant cools the level drops in the funnel. Just keep adding coolant and repeat whole process like 4 times.
Then check it in 2-3 days. I run Distilled water-Water Wetter- and 20% Antifreeze. My temps are at 210 degrees idle in 105 degree weather with a/c off and about 185 at night. But my fans are still set to come on at stock settings. which are i think like 195-200. Once i tune my car and change my fan temps, my temps should drop by like 15-20 degrees.

Heres a link to that thermostat
http://reischeperformance.com/#anchor

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey guys,you can log temps with the X3.Also recommend changing your fan settings with it as well.
010-3.jpg

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
^^^i tried to change my fan setting with it the other day and couldn't figure out how. I must be retarted when it comes to some of this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread