car overheated

scorched

Established Member
So, was driving the other day and my cobra overheated. Not the first time this year driving in hot weather. Noticed the smell of anti freeze about 2 miles from home, noticed coolant overflowed from reservoir. so I parked it let it cool and got it home.

Anyways went to see if its the fan that was bad next day but as I turn AC on, high speed fan kicks on. However, with the car idling it seemed like the low speed fan did not kick on. I have the torque app on my phone, and the fan seemed to not kick on until almost 190-200 which should not be the case, as about 3 years ago I but in a Reische t-stat and had fan settings adjusted.

Could this indicate that my fan could be bad, even though I know it definitely works on high speed? Could be reische t start be bad? As an aside, about 2 months ago I changed out my crossover tube plug for one of the fancy ones that a member on here was selling. Could air have been introduced in the system them that took 2 months to overhear the car?

It could be a lot of things. Twice I've overheated out of the blue. Once it occurred 6 months after messing with the radiator.

At this point just start over and eliminate the possibilities of what cooling system component may be the source of the issue.

Remove the t-stat and boil it in water to make sure it opens properly.

Inspect all your hoses for cracks. I've had the hose that hooks up to the bottom of the radiator tank, crack right down the side. A lot of serious heat in that engine bay in the summer.

Replace the radiator cap with a brand new one. They tend to no longer seal properly after an overheating episode.

If you don't have one already, consider replacing the oem radiator tank with an aftermarket one. I use a Moroso radiator tank that uses the Ford cap.

At the minimum...I would check the t-stat. Refill the cooling system and burp it with a new cap. And see all over again when the fan is coming on.

I know its time consuming and I'm sure you want a definitive answer on the fan needing replacement, but its best to take these steps so you don't buy a new fan unnecessarily. They are quite expensive now as opposed to be before when you could get one for $140 shipped from Tousley Ford.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

A bad radiator cap will easily introduced air into the system and sometimes these cars aren't burped properly. Some try rushing through the burp procedure and cooling issues rear their ugly head at the most inopportune times.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Check your low speed fan resistor. Its green and mounted on the fan shroud.

scorched

Established Member
I think so. Burped the coolant and let it idle for about 30 min. Car didn't overheat. Was checking coolant temp on the torque app on my phone. And I noticed fan didn't come on until 200. So I though my low speed fan was shot. However, asked my tuner what my fan settings are, and that is correct for the fan settings he tuned for. Now I am trying to get him to email my tune with settings adjusted.

So I think I might just have had air in the system. Although I can't drive the car right now to verify. Tore my left calf last night, so no clutch for me for a few weeks.

I think so. Burped the coolant and let it idle for about 30 min. Car didn't overheat. Was checking coolant temp on the torque app on my phone. And I noticed fan didn't come on until 200. So I though my low speed fan was shot. However, asked my tuner what my fan settings are, and that is correct for the fan settings he tuned for. Now I am trying to get him to email my tune with settings adjusted.

So I think I might just have had air in the system. Although I can't drive the car right now to verify. Tore my left calf last night, so no clutch for me for a few weeks.

Wow sorry to hear that buddy. How'd you tear a calf muscle? Did it swell up like a football?

On a lighter note, glad to hear your cooling issues appear resolved. Thanks for the update. Sometimes guys don't update these kind of threads and its always good to see what the outcome was for guys who are searching through these threads in the future. :beer:

scorched

Established Member
Was playing outfield in softball. Ball hit to my left. Pivoted and as I pushed off my left foot, i heard a loud pop and it felt like something hit me in the leg. Took another step and went down to a knee in agony. Hurt worse then tearing my meniscus a couple years ago. Only partially torn so no surgery, but hurts like hell. Barely swollen at all. Just can't walk on it at all. Hurts to bend my foot too.

Users who are viewing this thread