car rolled over 100K, now what?

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I bought an 01 cobra back in july with 92K on it, i dont know much about the previous owners except the most recent oil changes before I bought it were done at jiffy lube. Since I've owned it I have only used Mobil 1 5w-30 (7quarts) my question is, since I don't know what has been used in this car or how often fluids have been changed what should I change and what type of fluids/filters since my car now has 100K on it. Is there any other specific maintenance items i should focus on? my car has a pretty good chatter if its been sitting overnight until it warms up but I have heard this is pretty common in these cars. Thanks for the help guys:beer:

Chris's Cobra

Shredder
Established Member
if you dont know the previous maintenance records on the car, i'd change the tranny fluid, and do a coolant flush. maybe have the diff fluid changed. my car has 150xxx on it and it seen mobil 1 synthetic its whole life. maybe clean/check and replace air filter if necessary. i changed my oil every 3000 miles to. probably leaving a couple things out.

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
On top of what has already been mentioned.

Fuel Filter
Some Autolite Copper Spark Plugs [its like $10 for all 8]
Seafoam the car will definitely wake it up some more [it did for me atleast]

Just some things off the top of my head.

Then go out and put some more miles on her! These motors will last a LONG time if you take care of them... 234,000 miles and counting here!

freakinout

Established Member
- Tranny fluid
- coolant flush & burp
- fuel filter
- differential fluid
- brake fluid
- spark plugs

Should be about it really...

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
i did the seafoam thing a week or so after buying it (forgot to mention that) not sure if its a coincidence or not but i ended up having to change an 02 sensor. i also did the seafoam flush on my 148K expedition and my wifes 89K blazer. i had an 02 sensor go out on the blazer and an EGR pressure sensor go out on the expedition. i have used the seafoam stuff on cars in the past but almost immediatel in all three cases the above mentioned sensors went out so ill probably not use it again.
I didn't think of the brake fluid or the fuel filter so thanks for the suggestions.
what plugs do you guys recommend? i was advised by a buddy with an 03 cobra about the NGK uridium ones (not sure of the model number)
also what all is involved in the "burping" of the coolant system?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
You might want to consider an injector flush.
I did my Mach 1 with the BG setup at my former employer,
and it really worked well.
Smoothed the idle, etc. when it was good beforehand.
Have to have it done a a shop.

freakinout

Established Member
i did the seafoam thing a week or so after buying it (forgot to mention that) not sure if its a coincidence or not but i ended up having to change an 02 sensor. i also did the seafoam flush on my 148K expedition and my wifes 89K blazer. i had an 02 sensor go out on the blazer and an EGR pressure sensor go out on the expedition. i have used the seafoam stuff on cars in the past but almost immediatel in all three cases the above mentioned sensors went out so ill probably not use it again.
I didn't think of the brake fluid or the fuel filter so thanks for the suggestions.
what plugs do you guys recommend? i was advised by a buddy with an 03 cobra about the NGK uridium ones (not sure of the model number)
also what all is involved in the "burping" of the coolant system?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-319/477215-burping-cooling-system.html

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Buy a blower or a turbo and turn up the boost.

lol +1 though, these motors are kinda a joke with out boost or highly built N/A

wouldnt really recommend it for a 100K stock engine though.

but like they say, if its not broke, dont fix it.
a simple tune up should keep you going for awhile.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the iridium plugs would be over kill for your motor. I'd go with the Autolite 764's. I ran those when I was N/A with no problems.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
all fluids,plugs and all filters.
dont over fill the tranny.
and 7 qts of motor oil.

since i know im getting a short throw shifter for christmas from the wifey i might just thange the tranny fluid them. i was thinking of using the Amsoil synchromesh stuff, either that or the pennzoil synchromesh......how much does the tranny hold?

Users who are viewing this thread