Car runs rich with power pipe

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
Ok I have had a power pipe for awhile now. I first had a 76mm C&L MAF on the power pipe and couldnt get it to run worth a darn. So I replaced it with a Pro-M 80. Car runs much better now. Starts and idles fine. But I have noticed that you can smell gas and gas milage has decreased. Also, if you cost down a steep heel the car may die. So should I send the MAF back and see if they can recalibrate it ( yes I let them know it was a cobra)? Do you think new O2 sensors would help (they have over a 100,000 miles on them so I think I will replace them tomorrow)? Should I get a Fuel pressure regulator and have the car tuned ( dont really want to have it tuned seeing how little mods it has)? Also, if you have any other ideas please let me know. Like I said the car is very driveable, but this is one of those things that has just been nagging away at me. So I come to you for some advice.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
New 02's would be a good thing to replace, especially with that many miles on them.

Did you clear your keep alive memory (disconnect the battery for 20+ minutes)? If not, it will take some time for your fuel trims to adapt to the new meter.

Do you run long tubes?

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
No I dont run long tubes. I will try the battery again ( have done this but I dont know if I did it for 20min.). And I am getting O2 sensors.

93tealcobra

Established Member
I have an AFM powerpipe with a Pro-M 80. I don't think the car runs rich, however, I do have a nice surging idle on a hot start-up. Have you tried playing with the orientation of the meter (read:clocking the meter)?

Later,
Jeff

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
I was going to give clocking it a try. I did lengthen the wires to the mass air meter for this purpose. Kind of todays project.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I was told to touch the negative and positive terminals together after they are disconnected for the 20 minutes. This calibrates everything to what your set-up is instead of what it was.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by Paulvancouver
when i bought my pro m 80mm for my 93 svt they asked if i was using a power pipe,so maybe you need to recal your meter

besides the other info given (which i agree with) this is what i was thinking too.
i called pro-m the other week because im looking to get a 80mm too. and they said they need to know what type eec you have installed(ie stock or a9l etc..) year of course, boosted or not, power pipe or not, #injectors installed, i think thats it.
whats your combo i dont see a sig. ??
hope this helps
bryan

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
does anyone have their flow sheet? I have mine and was wondering if there was something to look for on it. here is what mine says: METER TESTED: 80R 93COB24 CONE . I bought the meter with the power pipe from Morpheis preformance. I assume they knew how to order meters for their product but you just never know.

93BlkCobra

Established Member
Yeah the meter is right as it can be(All flow sheets are diff.)
I tell ya man! Once you put the meter in the fender with a powerpipe it can act crazy. Try to clock it. Might help some?
I have had great meters in the past and bad By Pro-M!!
Thats that. They will say(Well no it can't be that Etc.)
I agree with the New O2's that a must for you! If not there
is a solution to get better driveabilty, You can get a CHIP Burned
And they can clear up the MAF problems with a good tuner.
Good Luck!

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
I got new O2's in and the rich smell has gone away. Man one of my O2's was bent in half that must have happened when I pulled the trans along time ago. So that is one plus. I still get a little surging when coming to a stop. The thing is when I start it up it surges a little then sits at 750-800 rpm steady and doesnt move. So I havent had much luck clocking it. Same thing when coming to a stop. A little surging then it is rock solid. Although coasting downhill in nuetral makes it go nuts. It will rev to 1500 then to 500 until you come to a stop. Can even die sometimes. Once stopped its rock solid. Oh yeah when it is coasting down hill and revving like that it will sometimes throw a check engine light but immediatley goes away after you stop. Is there anyway to find out what the code is?

OnesmokinSS

Established Member
No I dont have a cam. I cleaned the IAC and that has fixed the surging while coasting downhill. Glad that is fixed. Now I think I will try checking the TPS. I have never done this so I will have to do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread