Car salesman

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
I made a deal on a car yesterday. The best “Deal” on a car is when YOU feel like you got a deal, and the Dealer was able to agree with what you felt was a Deal for you. They can make their $395 “doc fees” and whatever they still had in the car, they need to stay in business, and your goal in buying SHOULD NOT be to “steal” a car or “beat a dealer sales manager into submission”. This is STILL America (although lately I wonder) and the Market should operate in a positive manner. And you ARE gonna want a healthy, thriving Dealer to do your warrantee work...why have a mindset of screwing them?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ill clarify more.

Dealer wants 35k for a 2020.

Ppv is 30k.

Customer loses 5k driving off the lot.

Wouldnt the whole risk mitigation be for the customer to buy the vehicle from the dealer as close to ppv as possible?

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I mean. You sure could try whatever you want.

If the market justifies $35k sales price, and you wanted to pay $30k, we'd shake hands and you'd be on your way.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

jmsa540

Established Member
I think there may be a slight disconnect amongst some recipients in this thread on what im trying to convey my message as.

My intent of this thread was not to screw over any dealer.

Besides if the dealer wants 4.2k for a 10year warranty but you can get the same exact warranty for 1.6k from a different dealer a few states away why not buy the cheaper one?

At this point would you consider the dealer screwing over the customer if he knew he was selling said warranty to the customer for 4.2k when you can buy one from another dealer for 1.6k?
I made a deal on a car yesterday. The best “Deal” on a car is when YOU feel like you got a deal, and the Dealer was able to agree with what you felt was a Deal for you. They can make their $395 “doc fees” and whatever they still had in the car, they need to stay in business, and your goal in buying SHOULD NOT be to “steal” a car or “beat a dealer sales manager into submission”. This is STILL America (although lately I wonder) and the Market should operate in a positive manner. And you ARE gonna want a healthy, thriving Dealer to do your warrantee work...why have a mindset of screwing them?

jmsa540

Established Member
I mean. You sure could try whatever you want.

If the market justifies $35k sales price, and you wanted to pay $30k, we'd shake hands and you'd be on your way.

I think youre overlooking my question and there is a slight disconnect.

What im saying is that as the consumer, that individual should do his due diligence in research and get to as close to an invoice price as possible to mitigate financial loss once he takes delivery of the vehicle.

This whole buying a car for $1 is an unrealistic expectation and would never happen.

jmsa540

Established Member
So, to tie eveything in, as the consumer for a fair price for both parties would you consider that a typical vehicle being sold at near or a bit over invoice price is a smart financial decision?

Or am i going down another rabbit hole here?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think youre overlooking my question and there is a slight disconnect.

What im saying is that as the consumer, that individual should do his due diligence in research and get to as close to an invoice price as possible to mitigate financial loss once he takes delivery of the vehicle.

This whole buying a car for $1 is an unrealistic expectation and would never happen.

As a person buying ANYTHING, you want to be as cheap as possible, to mitigate financial loss.

As a dealer, I spend $30-40k a month on advertising. That's not taken in to your calculation.

You cant compare the price of a brand new, untitled vehicle, and the same vehicle in a private party sale...as then its USED.

jmsa540

Established Member
Okay, we're starting to come together. :)

Lets continue to stay on track.

Does your dealership add advertisement fees to each car purchased?

Lets define used.

Lets say an individual buys a car with 5 miles on it and hasnt even driven it off the lot, the mechanical and cosmetic condition of the vehicle has not changed.

However, the "book definition" of the vehicle is now used since it now has its first owner and has lost value.

This is what i think is crazy.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So, to tie eveything in, as the consumer for a fair price for both parties would you consider that a typical vehicle being sold at near or a bit over invoice price is a smart financial decision?

Or am i going down another rabbit hole here?

I have all of my new inventory (Shelby's excluded) priced under invoice.

Okay, we're starting to come together. :)

Lets continue to stay on track.

Does your dealership add advertisement fees to each car purchased?

Lets define used.

Lets say an individual buys a car with 5 miles on it and hasnt even driven it off the lot, the mechanical and cosmetic condition of the vehicle has not changed.

However, the "book definition" of the vehicle is now used since it now has its first owner and has lost value.

This is what i think is crazy.

I think we're on the right track.

No, I don't add advertisement fees to each vehicle purchased that's payable by the consumer.

Yes, I do track my average advertisement spend per vehicle in stock AND per vehicle sold. If I didn't, I'd be an idiot.

Let's define "USED" in the way that I mentioned it. NEW = still on factory MSO. USED = titled in an individual/company/trust's name.

Only NEW car dealership franchises can sell NEW cars/trucks/SUVs. The only way an individual/company/trust can sell vehicles is USED vehicles.

Would you pay the same amount of money for a like-new iPad off of Craigslist as you would a new iPad from the Apple store? No.

Also, the thing that you're missing here is...it's a free market. You are MORE than welcome to make whatever kind of outlandish offer that you see as being fair and worthwhile for you. The dealership (owner of said vehicle) has every right to accept, reject or to counter your offer. That's the cool factor of living in the good ole US of A. I mean hell, I could have a car online for $24,500...you come in with a check for $24,500...and if you're a jerk to my employees or I don't want to do business with you, I can send you packing with your check in hand.

Glad we're on the same track now.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very good response. And thats awesome that you price your cars under invoice!!

What can you get me on an explorer st, lol

Nice chatting with you. :)

I can get you an Explorer ST for $700 under invoice, minus all the applicable rebates and incentives. Spec'd however you want.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
A friend owned a Pontiac dealer in Scottsdale before the internet shopping craze. Every year he never made money on new car sales. Yet every year his dealer made money.

Its even worse today. People do not realize all the cost that need to be paid with each new car sale.

That being said, if a dealer will sell for $35k and another dealer won’t budge at $37k where will you buy your vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread