Car Salesmen, good or bad job??

Kenny H

Established Member
What do you guys think of being a car salesmen? If you have done it, did you like it? Money? Hours? How was the environment?

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
Originally posted by Kenny H
What do you guys think of being a car salesmen? If you have done it, did you like it? Money? Hours? How was the environment?

Ive done buisness with great, honest car salesmen. Some need to go play in traffic. Not the job for me...just because I hate people.:lol:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by Kenny H

I think it depends on where you go. Some places are good to work for, others would suck due to sales pressure and tough competition. I've know people that have made a good living from it, and I've known some that have failed. Good luck..:beer:

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I did it for a few days. I couldn't hang. Its a cut throat business to get into. But if you have the necessary skills, you can make a ton of dough doing it.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Its a job you will either love or hate. There isn't a lot of middle ground. Your management and co-workers have a lot to do with it too. :p We KNOW when a new person will make it or not in the first 10 minutes of thier first day at the job after training.

3GROC

Established Member
too many car salesman are whores. I sell motorcycles and powersports equipment and it is a lot different. car salesman tend to try to one up each other in the same place...its not like a team...

at least where I Work at we are more team oriented and plus since there are only 3 of us and one is the owner we arent really in it to cut each other out....

I have a low tolerance for people and it shows sometimes.....dunno if youd like it or not kenny....

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
i like it, been doin it for 16 yrs.:shrug: money well i aint tellin:p

you make what you want. the new guys are the ones who are tried. stay away from the "circle jerks" and you will do fine, if that is what you wanna do.

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
I haven't been in car sales, but I've done sales before. Car sales is mostly if not all, comission based. I used to sell cell phones, and working comission based is stressfull. Working in a job like that your either good or your not. If your good, you won't have anything to worry about. If your not good, atleast you'll find out pretty quick and get a new job (less stressful). If your anywhere in the middle ground you'll be in for a rough ride (this would be the most stressfull). I would say go for it, try it out for a bit and see if you like it.

Key traits to a good salesman:
Soft skills - This is something that is very unique to yourself, it is also known as "customer service skills". If you make the customer feel important, and make sure they enjoy their visit, they will remember you and come back. Just keep this thought in the back of your mind, "If I were in their shoes, what could be done to make my visit enjoyable and memorable?"

Have confidence in your voice - If you truly sound like you know what you're talking about, they will belive you. Always be honest though, return customers give you a really great feeling.

Be well Informed - Always know about your product and competitions product. If the customer is there, then why would you let them leave? Let them know about the competitions product so they won't have to leave and come back later.

Determined - Sales is hard and stressfull, esspecially if your just starting out. Money is a good motivator, but being self motivated will help you along during the "slow season". Also, if customers see

Remember, everything you do is sales. From trying to pick a girl up from a bar to a job interview. It takes some quick thinking and persistance. If you don't have a problem approaching people and not easily pissed off, you should do well.

Purerock105

Established Member
In my profession(radio), I've visited quite a few dealerships
for on-site radio remote broadcasts at every kind of dealer
there is. I've probably met every type of sales person there
is. My Dad also did it for 4-5 years and was successful at it.

There's just not much in between for it. You either like it
and are able to do it well, as in make a living, or you struggle
and hate it therefore you're out of it quickly.

Some people are rather genuine, know the product well, and
trully are not out to get you. Those types tend to be long term
types and generally stay at one dealer hoping for return and/or
residual business from word of mouth reputation.

Then you have the dogs who are out to just make a buck,
have no real concerns for the buyer, and these sales types
bounce around every dealer in town for a few years.

YOU just have to decide which one you WILL be...;-)

:beer:

Last edited:

Xstanger

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
Its a job you will either love or hate. There isn't a lot of middle ground. Your management and co-workers have a lot to do with it too. :p We KNOW when a new person will make it or not in the first 10 minutes of thier first day at the job after training.

After training? We can spot them while they are in training. The dealership I work at does not hire veterans, which makes it that much harder for a person to really get off to a good start. We usually lose an entire team of newbs within 4weeks!

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Been in the car business for 14yrs. and have grown to absolutely HATE it!!!! The car business has changed dramatically in the last 5-8 yrs. and it is getting harder and harder to make a living in the business. Not to mention the Extremely LONG hrs., no time for family or the hobbies I enjoy, and then having to deal with the public on a daily bases makes for VERY stressful job! I would HIGHLY advise looking elsewhere for a stable job that you could truly enjoy. Good luck.

My $.02 :shrug:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I worked as a car dealer and both places tought me how to retionalize being imoral so I could do it. It hit me one day so I stopped right then... It probably depends on the dealer but I've never had experience with honest dealers an don't know of any...

Just me...

Users who are viewing this thread