Car shakes violently 130+??

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
I don't remember my car ever having this problem but the other night as I pushed it up past 130 for the first time in a long while the entire car was shaking and I could definately feel it in the steering wheel, so I immediately backed off.. I remember one time it started this and I had the tires rebalanced and it was fine, but that time it was only around 70 and up. Could my tire balance be off again?? How does that happen? Thanks in advance.. :beer:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
is your tire pressure too high? I remember getting up to those speeds and my tires had too much air in them. felt kinda whobble-like in those higher speeds. I never have my rear tires higher than 30 psi. fronts, around 30-35 psi.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
It could be balance, or a flat spot on a tire. Balancing the tires do not get rid of flat-spot steering wheel shimmy at higher speeds.

foofinator said:
I don't remember my car ever having this problem but the other night as I pushed it up past 130 for the first time in a long while the entire car was shaking and I could definately feel it in the steering wheel, so I immediately backed off.. I remember one time it started this and I had the tires rebalanced and it was fine, but that time it was only around 70 and up. Could my tire balance be off again?? How does that happen? Thanks in advance.. :beer:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Check for missing weights. If you have stick on weights, sometimes they can shift, but still be on the wheel.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Catatonic girlfriend in passenger seat rocking back and forth while praying?

foofinator said:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
o3SnakeBite said:
Myabe it will get better at 150? :)
Now there's a thought. But 160 would be the true test. But you've got to hold it there on an upgrade for 10 minutes.
BOOM! ;-)

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
NJCOBRA10thA said:
Catatonic girlfriend in passenger seat rocking back and forth while praying?

No.. she passed out around 110 :shrug:

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm going to have Discount Tire rebalance my wheels tommorrow.. :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
If the problem persists, have the front spindles checked. A bad bearing will definitely cause high speed vibration.

If it's coming from the rear after the balance, check the rear axleshafts to make sure a boot isn't leaking grease.

I've run into both.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
If you have the sticky weights (mag balance) check if they are still on the rim. One time I had mine balanced they unstuck on one rim and flew off leaving one rim severly unbalanced causing all sorts of wobbles. quick rebalance and all was well. just something to check.

Users who are viewing this thread