Car started dieing today!

bzubke1

Established Member
I've been getting a check engine light lately but the car has been running normal except the fuel pump taking a few cycles to prime every once in a while. I ran the codes and all i got were some smog pump codes because mine is deleted. I also got a code for the egr #332. While i was driving the check engine light came on and the car started dieing. It sort of felt like the car was running out of gas. The rpms were dropping, i tried hitting the gas but it did nothing. I tried to downshift but the rpms were still falling. This all happened within 5 seconds and instantly the cel went out and the car started driving normal again. I'm gonna check the codes again tomorrow but for now all I can think of is maybe my fuel pump is going out.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Sounds like the fuel pump from your description. Change your fuel filter first though.

I had a clogged fuel filter cause the came type of problem on anothe car.

xTomKx

Established Member
Was there any backfires?

I think you have a combination of issues between the egr and the stalling. I had a similar occurence when my ignition module was going out but that was on a different car. When the module heated up the car would stall. As soon as it cooled down some it was working again. On the highway I could only go 70. If I went 75 it would stall. This was on a different car and I'm not sure if you have an ignition module on a pushrod motor but I'm saying that it could be ignition related.

Fuel pumps usually give out when you turn them off and they don't want to start up again. But it could be any other part of the fuel system like the regulator or fuel filter. It wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter anyway. Did you hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the car yet?

bzubke1

Established Member
I forgot about one part of the story. While the car was dieing the tach dropped to zero. That kinda makes me start thinking it might be ignition related.

Users who are viewing this thread