CAR started overheating right after...

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
ok, so yesterday i took the manifold off and cleaned my imrcs which were pretty filthy. Anyhow, i finished up, put everythign together, reattached the hoses to the coolant cross over and went for a ride. after a couple of minutes, i got on it and the temperature went all the way to max. so i came home slowly and parked.
There was coolant pooring out of my coolant reservoir and the water was not really hot. i let the car cool. added some more water. turned it off.. it was fine for a sec. the fan came on.. and then water started pooring out of the same place(overflow tank).
So, what could it be. i was planing on going to the track tomorrow, but unfortunately i'll have to miss it.
What do u guys think it's wrong? i've checked all the conections and everythign is connected. what should i do?
thanks.

Last edited:

white98snake

Established Member
Well sounds likeu didnt burp ur system agian, u have to add the coolant through the crossover. also sounds like ur tstat may be stuck closed which is wat happened to me last year. get a new tstat and burp ur system

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
ok, no. i did not burp my system. i simply started the car and filled it up with water and water wetter. how do i burp the system? maybe i still have a chance of making it to the track tomorrow.!!

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
ha ha.. what are the chances.. i'm gonna do a search and hopefully that'll bring somethign up. keep me updated of your progress i really wanna go to the track tomorrow. we'll see.. :rockon:

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
100_1104.gif

is that what i'm supposed to remove and fill it through there?
Will i achieve the same results if i just take it to a quick lube place and have the system professionally flushed? think they use a pressure system to remove the old coolant and fill it with a new mix.
Thanks.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
YES
Wth the expansion tank cap (radiator cap) securely in place (if it is not, anything you add above at the crossover tube cap will run out below at the expansion tank cap) remove that little cap from the crossover tube and add 50/50 coolant until full. Removal may be a bit difficult due to the threads being corroded. Just get the right tool, used some penetrating oil, perhaps heat the bong with a torch, and be careful you don't strip out the hole. Alternatively, a vise-grip applied to the outer edge of the cap (without gripping the bong) should do the job. Then when you re-install the cap put some never-seize on the threads for ease of future removal.

MAYBE
But why pay for something you don't need AND may come back to you with the same problem because they forget to burp the crossover tube?

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
the hole is stripped.
how can i remove it now?
My question was how whether it might work, but whether a pressurized system would need to have the crossover tube burped since it's a pressurised system.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Read the "Sticky," guys ... someone went to a lot of trouble putting that information there for you to read. It'll also show you how to spell "reservoir."
:lol: :pepper: :pepper: :banana: :banana: :pepper: :pepper: :lol:
JK

SNAKEYE

Established Member
jmir018 said:
the hole is stripped.
how can i remove it now?
My question was how whether it might work, but whether a pressurized system would need to have the crossover tube burped since it's a pressurised system.
Pressurized, shmessurized! Don't rationalize.
Coolant MUST be added thru that plug in the crossover tube to top up the system. Otherwise it is airlocked. Ford didn't put that plug there to just look pretty. It MUST be burped to relieve the airlock. Just do it, whatever it takes. You could have extracted the plug when you had the crossover tube removed to do the cleaning. Heat the bong with a torch to expand it and break the corrosion's grip. Of course you may yet have to re-remove the crossover tube to gain access to be able to extract the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread