Car stereo gurus need help, sub/amp hookup

punchit

Established Member
Hello guys I'm trying to hook up my subs and amp and am having trouble and need some expertise as this is my first time.

Equipment:
Just a basic pioneer deck
Two 12's
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=5700917&pid=1218682375383

And this amp
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-...365476454&sr=8-2&keywords=Planet+audio+2000.2

Now I've ran a 10 with a Rockford amp with the same wiring so ground is good but let me try to paint a picture for you.
Since there are two + and - on each sub the middle + and - are connected by wire on each sub

I run the +/-directly from sub to outlet on box then into each channel of the amp (2channel) so theoretically directly from sub to amp.

The amp appears to be working correctly as its brand new but I am wondering what do I have hooked up wrong. I've tried increasing the dials on the amp with no luck. Here are some pics for reference. Anyone have any suggestions? I must add that I've already try to bridge them to see if the gain in power would help with no luck. There is a very very small amount of vibration as I can't even hear it over my regular speakers

punchit

Established Member
ryrymuny.jpg

e5y4y3yg.jpg
uqu7apa5.jpg

redrocket16

Established Member
What OHM are the subs? Are you sure they are hooked up inside the box from the terminal on the box?

punchit

Established Member
I was told not to bridge them on the amp (meaning + from one channel to neg on other channel) because the jack on the actual sub is bridge in the middle, but I've tried it anyway with no luck. I will find another ground point and yes I've double checked everything else I.e in the box it self.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
Looks like you don't have a complete circuit. You have to wire both sides of the sub. There are numerous sites that diagram wiring dual voice coil subs. Google is your friend.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
Also be sure to pick a wiring setup that will not deliver too low of an ohm load on your amp. You're starting off with 2 DVC 2 ohm subs, and your amp will most likely not do a 1 ohm load.

punchit

Established Member
ok big thank you to orange machine, yes ive googled the crap out of it but I didnt understand the ohm rating.
Bscardberry thank you so much I will try that. Is that pic saying to insert the two + from the one sub into each + connection on the amp, meaning all 4 connections will have wires running into them on the amp?

OrangeMachine

Established Member
ok big thank you to orange machine, yes ive googled the crap out of it but I didnt understand the ohm rating.
Bscardberry thank you so much I will try that. Is that pic saying to insert the two + from the one sub into each + connection on the amp, meaning all 4 connections will have wires running into them on the amp?

First, No fire is right. Flip your switch to low pass so that you're only amplifying lower frequencies. Otherwise you're sending a full range signal to your sub, which is not the goal my friend.

Secondly, the diagram above is ok if your amp can handle a 2ohm load bridged, which I don't believe it can. It can do 2ohms per channel, but not bridged. Bridging effectively doubles the output of the amp versus running both channels seperately with an identical load.

Third, to answer your question, the wires are only going to the far posts. One positive and one negative. See the bridge marking?

Let me find the right diagram to bridge the amp with a 4 ohm load.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
Here you go. Can't find how to get a 4 ohm load with DVC 2ohm subs. You want the last one that will give you an 8 ohm load bridged. Your amp will effectively "see" 4 ohms per channel bridged. Again, you'll be running the amp bridged using only the "bridged mode" posts on the ends. The amp can handle more (read higher power output), but you are limited with this combo of DVC 2ohm subs and a non-mono block amp. I would not have paired these subs with this amp. If it doesn't perform we'll with this configuration, sell the amp and get a class D mono block amp that is stable at one ohm.

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Two 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers

Users who are viewing this thread