Car stuttering, help!

Skudra

Established Member
Ok so it all stated yesterday when the car started to stutter and bog a little bit. After driving it a little I have noticed that this happens in all gears, between 1000 rpms and about 3500-4000 rpms then is fine all the way through 6000 rpms, and only happens when I am driving normal and then accelerating quickly. So basically in every gear I can accel normally and slowly through all the gears with no problems, but when I push the gas down it just stutters and bogs until 3500 rpm. It feels like when you get the distributer wet when your washing engine and sounds like light backfiring. Its really weird. im no car whizz but I was thinking spark plugs need replacing, injectors need cleaning, running rich, and I was also thinking the IMRC's but I can still kinda feel them opening!!?? I dont know, any help is greatly appreciated.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
do the fuel filter, then plugs/wires, then coilpacks. Also try running some fuel system/injector cleaner through it. NOT the 4 dollar crap you put in your gas tank, but the actual kit that has to be performed by a tech at a shop. Ive fixed so many sputters and hesitations in cars using this 3M cleaner at the shop where I work. The last one I cured was actually a lincoln towncar with the 4.6 sohc. car had like 140+k on it. You actually hook up the can directly to the fuel rails and such. It will make the car idle and perform so much better. If their is a carquest autoparts by you go in and ask for the 3M fuel system/injector cleaner kit. Youll need to buy the fitting to match your fuel valve tho. Im going to be doing it on my car next week because it costs next to nothing for the kit. I think its about 15-20 bucks for the whole thing. Its worth a shot

Mac25

Established Member
I had the kinda the same issue. I had just put new spark plugs in so that was not an issue. I figured the wires or the coil packs. I ended up with a broken fuel injector wire. I was told all of this stuff could be the problem but that ends up costing a lot of money that u are not sure is the issue. I took it to ford. Not my favorite place but I was lost?? But then again I also had a engine code too. Good luck!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200347

Last edited:

Skudra

Established Member
This weekend I will do plugs and how hard is the fuel filter change? I am also gonna take it somewhere to read the codes as well. If that fails maybe back to Ford?
Red98CobraStang: why would you think the wires are the issue? I've had them on since I bought the car and the problem just started...something wrong with MSD? Also, I'll see if I can track down the injector cleaner your talking about and maybe even give it the seafoam treament.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
some other fellow cobra owners had problems with their msd wires on their cars. I just bought the firepower ignition kit for 315 w/ shipping. needless to day my car still idles bad after cleaning the IAC, new coilpacks, wires, plugs, pcv valve, fuel filter, etc.. These cars just dont like to idle smooth i guess. Im going to clean my fuel system/injectors and see how that works. Also the IMRC clean is on my list of "to do" things on the cobra. if it doesnt idle clean after all this, im going to give up.

the fuel filter is very easy. Go to the local parts store and buy a fuel line tool (they come in a 6 pack ranging from like 1/4" to 1/2") just find the one that fits over the line and push it into the fitting on the fuel filter. Make sure to have some rags ready as some gas will come out. All you do is unhook both sides of the old filter and the new one slips right in. You can pick up the FRAM fuel filter at walmart. I think its like 6 bucks plus tax. If you want you can even wash off the tools and return them to the store :)

Last edited:

Skudra

Established Member
More info if this has anything to do with the problem...after driving it a little more I noticed that the car is stuttering through the whole RPM range. Dont know if this changes anything...also today I did the 'drip' into the intake valve and put some injector cleaner in my fuel tank...still the same problem is there, but it did puff a lot fo damn smoke!

Skudra

Established Member
Turned out to be a valve cover gasket was leaking oil onto my plugs and wires. Had to replace the gasket on the left side as well as the wires. I had them do plugs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread