Car sways side to side when im driving

G04cobra

Established Member
My car will sway randomly as if someone just gave my steering wheel a small jolt or something, kinda hard to explain but it makes me feel like I'm driving like a drunk. I took it to a shop yesterday and they told me it might be the steering rack bushings. I was also told it may be my power steer pump. Are these reasons credible or are there any other culprits? thanks in advance:beer:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Any suspension work done on the car? I had that issue and installed the MM steering rack bushings and front bump -steer kit and a new 4 wheel bump-steer alignment. Impulse Eng. in Hunt. Beach did the install and alignment, great work, the car tracks much better now. They also installed Bruce's full R. Bushing kit with R. Bumpsteer kit last year. No more wheel Hop, a great mod.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Are you maybe feeling any ruts in the roads?We used to have one road here that had huge truck traffic and the road had ruts in that would toss my car around a little.

G04cobra

Established Member
The suspension is stock, no work whatsoever. It does it at random no matter how the road is but feels exactly as you guys described above as if I hit grooves on the road.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Once I switched the rear 275's to 315's, there was a HUGE difference in how the car handled grooves in the road.... once it catches one, it will definitely try to follow it. It's even worse with the solid rear and 345's.

G04cobra

Established Member
it never did it before and i haven't swapped tires, it just started doing this a few days ago.

G04cobra

Established Member
I thought it was an alignment issue as well, but the guy said it wouldn't do much so he quoted me 180 for new polyurethane steering rack bushings an aligment and labor. Someone also told me it might be the lca bushings or the rack and pinion check ball:shrug:, I just don't wanna guess and pay for unnecessary repairs.

G04cobra

Established Member
yea its def. from the front end, i cant feel the steering wheel move to one side then the other.

Jefe

Established Member
Gonna have to get under the car and start checking some things out. Get pics for us if you can. Check out the rack/bushings, steering shaft joint, tie rods ends, maybe struts etc. You said suspension is stock meaning not lowered right?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Check the rack bushings, as well as the sway bar bushings. Hubs too, while you're at it.

G04cobra

Established Member
yea everything is stock, haven't cut the springs or anything I'll see if I can snap some pics after work. How hard is it to change those bushings? any special tools required?

kennycoulter

Established Member
even stock setup will feel like that on road grooves and changes in basically anything...tramlining right(?)

otherwise, lift vehicle and try to lift up on wheels with tires still bolted up. bad front wheel bearings on a rear drive car will feel similar.

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
Tire air pressure, too much or not enough or too much cross camber, caster, or toe will cause that...

Users who are viewing this thread