Car Transport Question- Dirty Car

svink32

Established Member
Hey SVTP,

I apologize, I don’t post on here much but I’ve been a member on here for a very long time and I’m a constant user of the forum for help and advice, searching through old threads, etc.- and for that I thank all of you.

Recently, my wife and I moved from Scottsdale, AZ to Minneapolis, MN and after the advice of many on here I chose to ship (and store) my 2011 Shelby with Reliable Transport over the last few months. I dropped her off on May 27th, and because we didn’t have a permanent address quite yet in MN I chose to store the vehicle with Reliable until giving them the okay to ship the car up here on August 1st. I knew from what I read on here that this was not the cheapest shipping option but that it was well worth it, for perspective I paid $2,050 total for covered shipping from AZ to MN and another $150 per month ($300 total) to store the car at their facility for June and July.

The experience so far has been great, however the car is set to be delivered this Sunday morning and the delivery driver called me yesterday to set up the drop. He told me that the car is running well and is totally fine but absolutely caked in dust, and my frustration with this is that when I made these arrangements for it to be stored with the operator, he even asked me if I wanted it to be covered. Which I replied absolutely if possible, and I provided the car cover upon dropping it off back in May.

Assuming it is caked in dust, which it was clean when I dropped off, should I be upset about this and voice it to the operator? On one hand I totally understand storing it at their facility for two months they probably needed to move it around a few times. But on the other hand, I feel as though if the car were a Ferrari I doubt they’d return it caked in dust. My other fear is that it sat outside for 2 Months hence why it’s all dusty- there’s just no way for me to know.

Should I even be upset about this?

svink32

Established Member
Agreed, and I joked with the driver that even if it was clean I’d wash it anyway. I’d just be flustered that I specifically asked/was told it would be stored inside with the cover on it. The Arizona heat in June/July is not good for that paint- hopefully worst case it was inside without the cover on it and just got super dusty from doors being open around the facility...

svink32

Established Member
I didn’t get anything in writing that it would be covered because honestly, I expected it to sit inside and get a bit dirty anyway. Covering it was a bonus and I had low expectations of that, but based on their reputation for being one of the premier collector car shippers nationwide, I just assumed it would be returned in similar condition as when dropped off.

Maybe the driver is exaggerating with the dust build up, but I’ll find out tomorrow. I’d just be shocked to find out it was left outside, the entire premise of me storing it there was that I was assured it would be inside, so I’m just puzzled how it possibly could have gotten that dirty.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If you haven't seen a picture of it, I wouldn't worry. I shipped a car through a similar company, and they are extremely thorough in the documentation of defects.

After buying a car on eBay, the seller had it shipped to me.
The transport company had 5 areas circled, on the invoice as pre delivery "defects", and when I picked up the car, those 5 areas were smaller than a grain of salt, in terms of defects. Some I couldn't even see anything!

Hoping it works out for you

svink32

Established Member
If you haven't seen a picture of it, I wouldn't worry. I shipped a car through a similar company, and they are extremely thorough in the documentation of defects.

After buying a car on eBay, the seller had it shipped to me.
The transport company had 5 areas circled, on the invoice as pre delivery "defects", and when I picked up the car, those 5 areas were smaller than a grain of salt, in terms of defects. Some I couldn't even see anything!

Hoping it works out for you

Thank you! I guess it’s better to be over critical than the latter.

update: picked up the Shelby yesterday afternoon! Yes it was a little dusty but I expected worse based on the drivers comments. Overall very happy with the shipping and communication so I would recommend Reliable any time.

08mojo

Established Member
Thank you! I guess it’s better to be over critical than the latter.

update: picked up the Shelby yesterday afternoon! Yes it was a little dusty but I expected worse based on the drivers comments. Overall very happy with the shipping and communication so I would recommend Reliable any time.

Good to hear! Personally, I would be relieved the car is dusty, as that's proof they didn't wash the car and/or try to hide anything.

Users who are viewing this thread