Car uses too much oil??

ericsnow25

Established Member
I know all cars "use" oil, but I'm concerned mine might be using to much. Last fall I acquired the car last fall and changed the oil with 7 quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. I changed the oil and filter last week after 2000 miles and only drained just over 4 quarts (well that's how many marks up in the 5 quart jug showed). This time I used High Mileage 5W-30, I hope that makes a difference in the amount of oil that is used between changes.

Anyways, I'm wondering if this is a horrible thing and I need to have my rings replaced ASAP or if I should just watch the level and add accordingly???

NOW, keep in mind I was pretty hard on the car being it was the first 2000 miles I had on it, but I wouldn't think it would use that much just because I drove it with a pretty heavy foot. It doesn't smoke at all out the back and no it DOESN'T LEAK ANYWHERE. Thanks for your opinions!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Our motors use up some oil that gets sucked into the intake through the PCV

I suggest to keep an eye on your oil dip stick every 600-1000 miles.

Make sure you first know where the 7 qt is exactly on your dip stick and maintain it.

Last edited:

ericsnow25

Established Member
Ok, I'll just keep an eye on it. Hopefully this high-mileaged oil doesn't go as fast. I might have my valve seals looked at.

SSeatr

Established Member
i blew my engine this way on my 99 :(

i filled with mobile 1 5w20, and i was burning TONS of oil. after 1000 miles i heard a slight knocking "fluttering" noise. drained oil and had 2 qts!!!!

needless to say the damage was done and it spun a bearing about 800 miles later and i kept oil full after i found it low.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Our motors use up some oil that gets sucked into the intake through the PCV

I suggest to keep an eye on your oil dip stick every 600-1000 miles.

Make sure you first know where the 7 qt is exactly on your dip stick and maintain it.

Exactly! After you do a fresh oil change, drive it for the day then let it sit on a level surface and scratch a mark on the dipstick to know where your 7 quart level is.. And I never get the full amount in the oil drain pan too, there's a good amount in the filter and other spots mentioned!

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
exactly! After you do a fresh oil change, drive it for the day then let it sit on a level surface and scratch a mark on the dipstick to know where your 7 quart level is.. And i never get the full amount in the oil drain pan too, there's a good amount in the filter and other spots mentioned!

+1!

ericsnow25

Established Member
After doing some more reading I'm concerned that my spark plugs could foul soon with oil getting into the combustion chamber. Will it throw a code and turn on my CEL if they begin to go bad?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
After doing some more reading I'm concerned that my spark plugs could foul soon with oil getting into the combustion chamber. Will it throw a code and turn on my CEL if they begin to go bad?

you need to be more concerned about the oil that is reaching your combustion chamber- plugs are the least of your troubles. sounds like you have ring problems or a valve seal- either way- the heads are gonna have to come off.

Users who are viewing this thread