Car won't go into gear at high RPMs...

warpd

Established Member
Ok I have a steeda firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant and my problem is I cannot shift the car hard almost like when the stock plastic quadrant was messed up. It won't go into gear at high rpms they have to drop down considerably before it will go into gear like say to 5000-4500 rpm. I have tried screwing the firewall adjuster out but it seems like it makes no difference. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem. I have had the adjuster and quadrant on for almost 30,000 miles with no problems...and now this..

warpd

Established Member
There has to be something else causing it though. If it worked at one point and then doesn't now something has to have changed? I just don't want to spend the money on another adjuster and it not work still.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Its the Quadrant. The plastic teeth are shredding off of it. Mine would let me shift sometimes and not others at high RPM's.

I have Steeda's race unit and I love it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The race unit shortens the pedal throw a little bit. I also noticed my pedal was smoother after putting in the quadrant and adjuster. The effort lightened up a little bit also.

hawkti

Established Member
I gotta jump in on this. I have the same problem about going into gear, but only 3rd. So you saying that you can adjust the clutch cable and this will fix it. Cause I have a firewall adjuster and quadrant. 3 hook

I had the exact same symptoms prior to to snapping 2 clutch cables. I'm assuming it was a result of the poor adjustment from the MM firewall adjuster.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
Told you, Fiore for the win, I have had steeda, upr, fiore firewall adjusters and clutch quadrants, fiore is the only one to solve my issue.

warpd

Established Member
Its the Quadrant. The plastic teeth are shredding off of it. Mine would let me shift sometimes and not others at high RPM's.

I have Steeda's race unit and I love it.

I have the steeda quadrant and adjuster so it's not that. I already had that issue and the steeda quadrant and adjuster solved it. Now I am basically having the same problem again but with the aftermarket unit. I think I might get the fiore adjuster and a new cable and see if it hopefully goes away.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Check your cable. Make sure it's not starting to fray where it connects to the quadrant.

I have a problem hitting 3rd at high rpms, but I know it's just my timing. If I granny shift it, it goes into gear no problem.

warpd

Established Member
I placed an order for the fiore firewall adjuster but it is on backorder for about 2 weeks The transmission fluid hasn't been changed in about 30,000 miles so I am going to try that as well. It has gotten colder here than it has been in last few days and tonight regardless of how I adjust the firewall adjuster the shifter is hard to put into gear regardless of the rpms (although it is much harder the higher the rpm), sometimes it goes in gear other times it doesn't.

If the synchros are going south, what do ya'll think would be the most cost effective way to fix it? I'm in college and I would probly have to borrow the money to fix it.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
+1 on checking the clutch cable. It could be stretched even if you don't see any fraying.

+1 on changing the fluid and thinking about the synchros.

elyrain

Established Member
I've also noticed that unless I use real gm syncromesh it doesn't shift nearly as well at 7k. That additive stuff sucks in my tranny...

Users who are viewing this thread