Car won't idle...RPM's drop and die

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
Ok. Here's the story. I drove my car a few miles to the bowling alley and had no problems at all on the way there. I come back out after a few hours and start the car up. It starts up fine but the RPM's automatically drop all the way down and the car dies. It doesn't even try to idle. I started it back up a few times and if i give it some gas and keep the RPM's up it will keep running but as soon as I let off the gas the RPMs drop again and it dies.
I talked with a guy I work with and he suggested the IAC might be messed up. Any other ideas before I take the IAC off and clean it?

Do you guys think cleaning it will work or will I need to buy a new one?

Try cleaning it first since they are pretty expensive. I clean mine all the time with carb cleaner or Deep Creep. If the idle issues continue though then naturally you should consider a new one.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
i tried cleaning mine and it helped a little, but i just bought a new one. but as stated check all your intake clamps and seals, all the vaccum lines and all

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
It's time for a new IAC for me as well. There not that bad...like $60ish, right??

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had the same thing happen with my GT. Went to head to work and it wouldn't idle. A new IAC fxed everything.

Users who are viewing this thread