Car wont start due to no fuel pressure

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Hey guys,

Small back story........I have a timing cover gasket leak (fixing it this Sunday) and because of it the engine bay had a lot of oil residue built up so I took it to a do it yourself car wash with a pressure washer. Cleaned up the car (didn't use the pressure washer in the engine bay) and got all the oil off the motor, accessories, etc. There was a lot of build up over time so I decided to clean it before tearing everything down this weekend to seal the leak. Anyway, I was pressure washing the car after I cleaned the bay by hand and since I have a mach 1 with the shaker that sits on top of the posi ported eaton water got in through there. I wasn't worried about it cuz it wasn't the first time. Apparently it got some fuel components wet tho, namely the wiring around the rails and possibly the FRPS. Not soaked, but wet. I wiped everything down. Let the car sit for abit to make sure it was all dry.

It started up fine and I left the car wash. Got a mile down the road and was braking coming up to a red light. Car died and would not restart. I investigate and I have zero fuel pressure on the regulator. Car had a CEL and threw 1 code. Now before I give the code here is what my fuel system is composed of:

Stock fuel rails with 60 lb injectors
Dual FPDMs
Two Ford FGT Fuel pumps
Cobra tank
Fore fuel hat
PPRV Delete
-8 AN Fuel line
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

The regulator was reading 0 pressure. Engine was turning over fine, but just had no fuel. I checked the fpdms and they had power according to the green light on my relay. Pumps didn't seem to be turning on tho, but I was guessing I couldn't hear the pumps since there was no fuel pressure anyway. Now I know this has to be related to the water getting into the bay. Something must have gotten wet and shorted out? My guess is the FRPS is gone?

The code it gives me is:

P1233 "fuel system disabled or offline"

Help is appreciated. I don't want to start just randomly buying parts to try to fix it. I do plan to go return style soon for e85 with division x fuel rails, a return line and some 80 lb injectors, but I wanted to wait just alittle longer. If its something simple like the FRPS id rather just buy that for now and replace it so the beast can live again......Only so I can tear it down sunday to replace a damn timing cover gasket rofl.......

Mach828

Established Member
Did he upgrade the fuel pump fuse when he installed the dual pumps/fpdms?

Whats the purpose of running an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on stock rails, in a returnless system. I'd use a stock one.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Its pretty clear when the FRPS goes "learned this from recent experience". IMO That doesn't sound like your issue. I don't think spraying it down caused this issue from how it sounds. Checking fuses and the relay would be my first step.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree check fuses and relay first.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Ok, I have no blown fuses and the relay is fine. The pumps and fpdms are getting power. The fpdms seem to be on but I can't tell if the pumps are doing anything or not. Haven't had a chance to take a closer look. I was gonna use a voltage meter and start testing sensors and the injectors to make sure they're getting power. Guess I'll start with the pumps and fpdms and work my way forward.

I did replace the battery and clear the code. I replaced the battery for a different reason. The same code is the only one showing up which is still p1233. Oh and the car has an aftermarket regulator because it will be going return style soon. Might just have to do it now, but I hope I don't need two new pumps.

mhinchley

Established Member
The odds that 2 pumps went out at the exact same time are astronomical. Test voltage at the pumps. Even the injectors, it would take at least 2 or 3 dead to stop the car from starting. Wondering if ignition is not working properly, if that would cause ECM to stop fuel flow? Have not owned my car long enough to know this answer.

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
Only way to check if the pprv delete came off is to drop the tank.

You would still hear the pumps cycle on though. And if you datalogged it, the pumps would be at 100% duty cycle with no fuel pressure.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Ya I said screw it I was gonna go return style anyway. Just bought the kit to support up to 1600 hp :) Thatll take care of the problem for sure :p

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Just fyi, figured out the issue. Ignition switch was bad. Replaced it and she lives again. Voltage meter found that there was no power to any of the ignition related fuses and they weren't blown. If anyone else has a problem like this you know where to look.

1st prize goes to mhinchley for suggesting ignition.

mhinchley

Established Member
Glad you figured it out. That sucks that the ignition went out though. On the other hand, you have a good upgrade on your hands now.

Users who are viewing this thread