car won't start =(

YELOSNK

Established Member
1:45pm I parked the car, 7:15pm I went to leave and it would not start. Engine would turn over just fine but wouldn't start. I then noticed even with the key on and the ignition on accessory it still did the intermittent flashing of THEFT like I had the car locked w/o keys in the ignition. I tried starting it again and noticed the theft light was rapidly flashing (more or less looked solid) and thought it didn't usually do that. Had my GF bring out my spare keys, still did the same thing at which point I went home to get a wrench to disconnect the battery.

when I got back I noticed it didnt have the intermittent THEFT blinking with the key in the ignition. I tried to start it and it didn't rapidly flash THEFT like it had before (I believe the battery light did instead, which I think is normal? I don't remember) but still wouldn't start. Checked fuel cutoff and no problem. Checked fuel pump fuse in engine compartment (at least I think I checked the right one) and it looked fine. At that point it was pitch dark and GF needed to go so I left the car at work.

Any ideas? :shrug:

Last edited:

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
Sounds like it could be a problem with the PATS system, I had the same thing happen to me. I think they had to replace the ignition module in the steering column and burn new keys if I remember correctly, it was ten years ago.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Tried again this morning after letting it sit with the battery disconnected for a while. no THEFT while I try to start it but it still won't start. Checked all relevant fuses and all were good. Looks like I'll have to get her towed :(

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I always blame the battery first....clean the terminals first then try and jump it?

May not be battery but I have had plenty of batteries turn over but not start. Just enough juice to sound like it would start but wouldn't...cheaper to try that then tow now

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Have you tried pulling codes already? When mine did that it showed code p1260 which is a pats thing. I bypassed pats to get it to the dealer and they said it was a bad antenna or something in the steering column that reads the key..

I'm assuming you've checked the pcm fuse? That would cause the same thing if it's blown..

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/010602.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread