Car won't turn over.....NOT battery issue

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well my cobra has sat in the driveway for a week now and I haven't had much time to really diagnose it, but I was hoping for some insight here. I initially thought it was a battery issue, but what was happening was that the car was having enough juice to light the cluster, interior lights, and etc...but when I went to crank the car over it wouldn't even TURN OVER. Completely dead just like an automatic car that wasn't in park.

battery has been charged by o'reillys and I saw the charge level myself..

..battery terminals have been cleaned...

..changed the battery post anchors (where the cables attach) with new...

..suspicious of either a relay or something else...there is a ticking noise under the steering column I did notice when I engaged the battery lockout there on the rear bumper and gave the car power back...

..checked grounds around the battery and none have worked their way loose...

...it doesn't seem like a starter issue, since I used to burn through those in my SHOS left and right and in this case it didn't CLICK at all...

guys got any insight?

blowns281

GARAGE QUEEN
Established Member
do you here the fuel pumps? did you try jump starting it? did you check the clutch safety switch? just trying to help!

midtex01gt

Established Member
also check the frps

well if I had fuel related issues, wouldn't it crank over and just sound fuel starved? I am getting NO CRANK right now.

what is the clutch safety switch? There was some clicking going on under there when I tried to start it...

when i turn the car over it just zaps all the energy out of the car and it acts like there is NO cc amps...

tried to jump it off, and it didn't help a bit...

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the clicking sound may be your starter solenoid trying to engage the starter motor but being unable to for whatever reason. Check your starter and the solenoid.

xenodragon

Established Member
When my battery was completely dead after the winter, my car wouldnt turn over either and just made the clicking noise.

I took the battery to get charged...they said it was charged...and took the battery home, put it in and still made the clicking noise...i bought a new battery and no problems since.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
when i turn the car over it just zaps all the energy out of the car and it acts like there is NO cc amps...
Probably battery but could be starter... keep in mind a dead battery can still hold 12V but won't deliver enough current (amps) to turn the engine over. If the battery is more than 3 years old I would go ahead and just replace it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Probably battery but could be starter... keep in mind a dead battery can still hold 12V but won't deliver enough current (amps) to turn the engine over. If the battery is more than 3 years old I would go ahead and just replace it.

in spite of what the OP says as you say (and as I have stated) it could be the starter.

BEFORE replacing the battery try to jumpstart the car. if it is the starter the car will unlikely start anyway but at least you KNOW it isn't the battery. A fair amount of troubleshooting still needs to be done before you start throwing parts at it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
BEFORE replacing the battery try to jumpstart the car. if it is the starter the car will unlikely start anyway but at least you KNOW it isn't the battery. A fair amount of troubleshooting still needs to be done before you start throwing parts at it.

Exactly!!!!!!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
A fair amount of troubleshooting still needs to be done before you start throwing parts at it.
I agree with you in priniciple but the more I learn about the electrical system of the Cobra, the more I realize how important it is to keep a good battery in these cars.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I agree with you in priniciple but the more I learn about the electrical system of the Cobra, the more I realize how important it is to keep a good battery in these cars.

oh I agree with you 100%. my point is that there has not been enough troubleshooting done to blame anything and start throwing money at it in an attempt to FIX the problem.

If one wants to replace the battery before doing a complete troubleshooting series as a matter of GP I wouldn't argue with that at all.

midtex01gt

Established Member
the car won't jumpstart at all....I left my jeep to charge it for 30 min and still acted like there wasn't a battery at all in the car....

04Venom

Established Member
I don't have as much experience with diagnosis as most of you do, but could it be the crank sensor? Happened to me on another car and drove me crazy until I found it. Same symptoms you are describing. FWIW

midtex01gt

Established Member
used to have crank sensor problems on my shos all the time and they usually would start, but then die after a prolonged run period where the sensor wouldn't send matching crank info back to the pcm, and after so many errors the car would just die.....

...might be that, but not sure...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i had a smilar problem on my GTP...There was corrosion where it connected to the starter

i ended up having to replace the POS cable, and clean the area on the starter

midtex01gt

Established Member
funny how there wasn't a battery light coming on at all before the death...usually the dummy light will come on...will 'borrow' a new battery today and see what happens

midtex01gt

Established Member
you guys are gonna laugh when you hear what it was......

....the wife shifted carpet over the contact switch at the clutch.......

....*running away and hiding*.............................:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread