Carbon fiber fix?

M240Bravo

Established Member
Is there any way to have carbon fiber polished or fixed? I don't have any friends that do detail work and searched online and couldn't find much for an answer.

IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You could have it clear coated. The guy I bought my carbon fiber GT500 rear spoiler from had to do that, as the finish from trufiber/trucarbon did not hold up.( I can't recall for sure where he said he bought it)

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
As long as the fibers are good and in tact a body shop should be able to reclear it easy as Sssnake said. Hardest thing with clearing dry CF is that it soaks up clear like crazy so sometimes you have to shoot it 3 or 4 times, cutting it each time. It could be expensive because it is time consuming. We just did a custom dry CF hood for a 65 Mustang.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
This hood looked like your part when it came to us. In this picture it actually is in a really crappy state but you cant see it. We cleared it 2 more times after this so you can imagine how well it turned out then.
20180714_164318.jpeg

M240Bravo

Established Member
So I have to take all the carbon fiber off and have it cleared? Like a body shop paint clear? Just want to make sure before I take this bike all apart?

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
So I have to take all the carbon fiber off and have it cleared? Like a body shop paint clear? Just want to make sure before I take this bike all apart?
You would want them to do it. Just give them the part and let them take care of it. Or you could have it recovered in resin and go that route. That would negate a lot of the absorption that would happen with the automotive clear, but the clearcoat will hold up better and look better for years to come. Dont sand the part yourself unless you really know what you are doing because if you damage the fibers there is no fixing them from my knowledge.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I didn't realize how bad an idea dry carbon fiber was until I took my stepson to look at a couple of M4s that had the dry carbon fiber lip spoilers. It looked like absolute garbage from sun and wind wear. I mean, they looked TERRIBLE; literally falling apart on the cars. That's not something you'd expect to be a wear item. And it probably costs a pretty penny to replace them. It would probably be cheaper to take the tail off and have the holes filled.

On the topic of your bike parts, I'd have them put resin on it then clear coat it.

Users who are viewing this thread