Carbon Fiber Hood PICS! (belts too)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Well I finally got the new CF hood. Some of you know that I had a 03cobra CF hood for months now, but it was slightly damaged in transit. So the insurance co. had to talk to everyone who handled the hood, decide how much to insure it for, bla bla bla. Basically it was a big long mess to get another one sent out, but its finally here and I am finally getting some of my weight reduction mods going. I need you guys to help me out with a decision, should I paint it black or leave it? I like how it looks, but I do NOT want this car to look ricey in any way shape or form. The hood looks different depending on how the light hits it, so sometimes I love it, than other times its alittle too much.

But lets get down to what you guys really want to know. Weight savings.

Stock hood = 40lbs

CF hood = 25lbs

So as you can see, its not a huge amount, I though it would be about 20 lbs saved, so 15lb is ok for me. It feels MUCH lighter when opening the hood though. Remember, when doing weight reduction your not going to find one big thing that you can take out of the car and lose 150lbs. Its a bunch of little things that add up to alot. For example, CF hood, rear seat delet, front race seats, lightweight rims. . .ect would add up to a nice chunk.

Anyway, here are the pics.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
As you can see here, depending on the angle, the hood can look very dark or very light. In the backround is the other CF hood.

Notice how the vents on the old one are silver? Well, when I put the new one on the car, those silver vents looked way to ricey, so the first thing I did was take them off and paint them black. It looks much better like that.

yermo

Established Member
looks great. that is a good savings off of the front of the car. i wonder how that would look on a DSG it might look close to stock.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
give me a few minutes guys, for some reason the pics are taking a long time to post. Soon as I get them posted I will answer any questions.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn John :bash:

I knew i should not of opened this thread :(
Well John, u make a very good point in the Weight Reduction.

Its like a penny will add up to be a dollar theory :beer:

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Oh I like it from behind... Giving that is.

Anyway.. I Agree paint it, but it looks damn cool unpainted.

Is there a clearcoat on it or a wax?? I thought new (bare) CF was duller.

Users who are viewing this thread