Career question,Highway Patrol or Sheriffs Dept?

RiffRaff04

Established Member
Hey guys, looking at a career change and law enforcement is always something ive been interested in. So ive got applications in at both the local sheriffs dept and with the sc highway patrol. Is there any major differences in the 2 that I should be aware of ? Is one any better than the other? (not trying to start a pissing contest or anything) Any input would be appreciated.:beer:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hey guys, looking at a career change and law enforcement is always something ive been interested in. So ive got applications in at both the local sheriffs dept and with the sc highway patrol. Is there any major differences in the 2 that I should be aware of ? Is one any better than the other? (not trying to start a pissing contest or anything) Any input would be appreciated.:beer:

They are two totally different jobs. I suggest you go to each website and review their duties. Each job requires a different skill set and a person to match.

I could never be a road trooper.

RiffRaff04

Established Member
They are two totally different jobs. I suggest you go to each website and review their duties. Each job requires a different skill set and a person to match.

I could never be a road trooper.

Ive got a good idea of what each consist of, ive spoken to several officers in both fields and had several interviews. I just didnt know if there were any major drawbacks to either.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Ive got a good idea of what each consist of, ive spoken to several officers in both fields and had several interviews. I just didnt know if there were any major drawbacks to either.

Based on the job duties and description you can envision the drawbacks. Handling traffic and stopping traffic violators and running accidents is not the part of L.E. I want to do.

Although I work for the Fed., I am also a p/t deputy for HCSO. I enjoy both investigation and enforcement.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
I also couldn't be a trooper, as traffic isn't really my cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks...

I will say that in my agency, a written warning counts the same on my stat sheet as a citation. That being said, I write a ton of warnings and very few citations.

Im friends with several FHP officers that work my area, and they say that warnings are something that their brass doesn't like. Those same officers will tell me that they don't know how I deal with the same ol' he said she said domestic violence, threatening phone calls, or civil neighbor disputes on a day to day basis.

jshen

Established Member
In SC it depends on which sheriff's dept you are looking at and as said before the duties vary depending on department. From jailer to courthouse security, and in some jurisdictions- street work. Insofar as being a state trooper, if you want to be an investigator some day- that may be your best way to get in SLED. You might want to check and see where they get their candidates and whether being a trooper gives you an edge and extra points as I have been told it does. SC's investigative unit is top notch and they want proven candidates..Having a good record as a trooper would be a foot in the door.

One thing I might add about sheriff's- they're elected officials and you are suject to the whims of that person. If you hack off that guy- whether justified or not- you can wind up being a jail custodian in a heartbeat. Troopers have a little more protection but they can sure move you anywhere in the state at a moments notice too..

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
That being said, I would not want the Deputy Sheriffs position. My reasons are that is far too political and your job security lingers in the balance of every four years. I was a city police officer for 5.5 years. Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I got out because of just too much politics, the barking dog calls and didn't like being bound by a city limits.
I enjoy working the road and being my own boss. You really have to enjoy being on the road, working crashes and working two, three four counties. Bad part is you could be away for one, two weeks at a time for state emergencies.
Every job has its quirks, but being a State Trooper is my cup of tea.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
in 3 years.. I'll be facing this same exact question (when I retire from the Navy) Deputy Sheriff or State Police....

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
I would suggest going on a ride along with both to actually SEE what it is like. A lot of the time, state vs county vs city, will say they wouldn't want to do the other. They are all different... its up to your preference. The area you are looking at makes a difference too.

ByeOfficer

Fast cop in FL
Established Member
Ride along (if they allow it) would be the way to go.

There are politics in each job, but it's up to the person themselves to let it bother them or not.

Pay could be a big decision. Compared to FHP officer w/the same amount of years,,I kill them in pay.

I myself couldn't do traffic only. (On a side note *read funny. I call FHP,,,AAA with a gun.)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do sir.

Users who are viewing this thread