Carolina/Tennessee road trip ?'s

99GTvert

Established Member
If all goes as planned, I'll be picking up a car in Atlanta tomorrow and driving it back to Ohio. Since I've heard some of the best roads in the country are between here and there, I will be avoiding freeways as much as possible. The obvious choice was Deal's Gap, so I can catch 129 right outside of Atlanta, take that all the way to Knoxville, then on to a more direct route so I can still make decent time. Can anyone from around there give me a more enjoyable route that I may have missed? 441 through to Gatlinburg looked pretty nice too. Also, are there any can't miss places to eat along the way?

natedog_1959

Established Member
Make sure you stop at Fontana Dam/Resevoir just outside of Deals Gap. Largest Dam east of the rockies. I can't think of any food spots right now but tripadvisor should have you covered for that.

Nate

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Cherohala Skyway in that same area is pretty nice. Many hit it after hitting the dragon. Be advised, the law patrols the Dragon HEAVILY. They average 1-2 wrecks/day by inexperienced bikers who get in over their heads.

tistan

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and stay in Deals Gap area for a couple days. There is a lot to see and a lot of roads to enjoy driving. I usually stay in Robbinsville because there is a nice Micro Inn that is reasonable on prices.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If you go through Gatlinburg I recommend the Alamo steak house in PF. They have the best filet I have ever tasted.

Even better than that - the Steak Peddler in Gatlinburg. I have eaten both places and honestly, the Peddler rules.

There's a reason for a 3 hour wait on weekends. They start taking call ahead at 4:00 - start calling then or you simply will get to wait hours to get in.

It is a bit pricey, but it is amazing. Not only that, it is literally right over the river. Actually saw a family of raccoons one time, and another time a black bear doing a bit of fishing.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
That's the best driving in the US. How are you going back to OH? You'd really appreciate the views taking I-75 out of Atlanta and picking up I-81 in Knoxville. After that taking I-77 will get you back to Cleveland. I drove that way (down 81) home several times when I was in the military and it was very relaxing. If you're going to Deal's Gap take the Blue Ridge Parkway up to I-77 to go back home.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
441 through Great Smokey Mountain National Park is amazing. I know this because I drove it not 6 hours ago. :) I'm currently chilling at Hungry Bear BBQ in Gatlinburg. It's a 10 minute drive off the main tourist trap area, and literally a 15 seat, 2 man operation place. DAMN is it good!!!!

If you're going to do 441, at the very top of the drive is Newfound Gap. It has an amazing view. Near there is a turnoff for Clingmans Dome. It's a 7 mile drive up even more. Once parked, it's a .5 mile walk up a paved sidewalk that takes you up to an observation tower. The view up there is amazing!!! I did a time lapse of the sunset with my GoPro there just 2 nights ago. Here's one of just 1,500 shots.

O2FISvUl.jpg

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I quick google didn't turn up anything, but there has to be some Viper meet going on right. First I saw a 1st gen in dark green that made me do a double take. Then I saw a 98 GTS or so. Then I saw 4 more at one light. Those cars on these roads....damn those must be some happy drivers!

99GTvert

Established Member
I just took 129 from Atlanta to Knoxville, then the freeway the rest of the way. It was a good time, but I heeded the warnings, and kept an eye on my speed. I bet it was a lot of fun before those 30mph signs went up. I was actually more impressed with a section a little before I got to "the tail," where it was almost as twisty, but 45-55mph. I ate at the BBQ joint at the end. Overall it was worth the detour and I will definitely be heading back one day to check out the other roads.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I quick google didn't turn up anything, but there has to be some Viper meet going on right. First I saw a 1st gen in dark green that made me do a double take. Then I saw a 98 GTS or so. Then I saw 4 more at one light. Those cars on these roads....damn those must be some happy drivers!

LOL they are eating dinner a half Mike from where I ate. I'm driving when I suddenly see a parking lot with 25 Vipers. I'll have pics up later.

Phil'scobra

Established Member
There is a road called the back of the dragon, I have never taken it and to tell the truth until last weekend I have never heard of it, It is Hwy 16 between Marion VA and Tazewell VA, It is 32 miles with over 260 curves with elevation up to 3,500. Its in South west VA, so it could be take on the way to Ohio.

Users who are viewing this thread