Carroll visits SVT, gives approval for GT500

Trublu01

Established Member
Yes that is true, but that was then, when there was Shelby Automotive. Engineering for this GT500 is SVT. When it comes down to it, we all know and love the legend of Ford and Carroll Shelby, but at his age and status, he's there for publicity and hype. I'm sure he actually has little to do with the car, execept to be seen in it, and to sy he likes it, or how bout putting my name somewhere damnit!

BT03mach-1

Established Member
I don't care if his name is on it or not! But I know my dad would not say one thing if I bought a $40,000 car with his name on it but when I pay that for a cobra he may kick me in the head lol. I really don't care about the hood either. How many mustangs have a cool hood anyway? the mach has a cool hood and the R, the 03 04 cobra hood is ok. 01 - 04 gt hood is some what ok but fake and the rest of them are boring. now under the hood is different! when I get one ( after than have been out for a little while ) I may just drive around with the hood off anyway lol j/j

Bower

Established Member
I think some of you miss the point. Yes, Shelby is (was) a great name that evoked strong emotions in car design. But that was a very, very long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). In the day of live axles, carbs, and points.

He defected to Chrysler, and ranted mercilessly about crappy Ford. He's now back, with apparently all forgiven. But what does he really contribute? A name that was stale years (decades) ago?

It is true that the name really doesn't matter - and I'm not put off with the Shelby name per se. BUT - if I was the lead designer on this car and mid to 3/4 of the way through it this old guy (who professed hatred of all things Ford) comes around and steals some SVT thunder......

And to top it off, Ford is paying this guy a fair sum for those naming rights. The bean counters peck away for every nickel - SLA front is gone, IRS rear is gone, lightness is gone, etc. etc. Yet I wonder - how much per car is Shelby getting for the name? And other than that name, does he have any modern design or engineering expertise that he brings to the team? He drives around a proto for the cameras and says 'he approves'. What else would he say?! It's HTTs baby, not Shelbys.

It's a marketing ploy - and a waste of money. Put the $$ into the car's content and let the performance speak volumes about all the work HTT and his team are doing.

Despite all the above - I hope the car does VERY well, as it's success will spawn other variants that many are hoping for. And don't sweat the hood guys - it's nearly impossible to get an accurate idea of a car's looks until you see it in 3D. A picture rarely does a car justice.

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
+10000

That was the best post I've ever seen in regards to the GT500. Someone should put that in a cover letter and get everyone on the site to sign it and send it to SVT.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Trublu01 said:
Yes that is true, but that was then, when there was Shelby Automotive. Engineering for this GT500 is SVT. When it comes down to it, we all know and love the legend of Ford and Carroll Shelby, but at his age and status, he's there for publicity and hype. I'm sure he actually has little to do with the car, execept to be seen in it, and to sy he likes it, or how bout putting my name somewhere damnit!

SHELBY AUTOMOTIVE IS ALIVE AND WELL IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA, STILL BUILDING NEW COBRAS, AND HAS BUILT THE OLDS-POWERED LIMITED PRODUCTION VEHICLE....I WOULD NOT COUNT HIM OUT JUST YET!!!!

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Bower said:
I think some of you miss the point. Yes, Shelby is (was) a great name that evoked strong emotions in car design. But that was a very, very long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). In the day of live axles, carbs, and points.

He defected to Chrysler, and ranted mercilessly about crappy Ford. He's now back, with apparently all forgiven. But what does he really contribute? A name that was stale years (decades) ago?

It is true that the name really doesn't matter - and I'm not put off with the Shelby name per se. BUT - if I was the lead designer on this car and mid to 3/4 of the way through it this old guy (who professed hatred of all things Ford) comes around and steals some SVT thunder......

And to top it off, Ford is paying this guy a fair sum for those naming rights. The bean counters peck away for every nickel - SLA front is gone, IRS rear is gone, lightness is gone, etc. etc. Yet I wonder - how much per car is Shelby getting for the name? And other than that name, does he have any modern design or engineering expertise that he brings to the team? He drives around a proto for the cameras and says 'he approves'. What else would he say?! It's HTTs baby, not Shelbys.

It's a marketing ploy - and a waste of money. Put the $$ into the car's content and let the performance speak volumes about all the work HTT and his team are doing.

Despite all the above - I hope the car does VERY well, as it's success will spawn other variants that many are hoping for. And don't sweat the hood guys - it's nearly impossible to get an accurate idea of a car's looks until you see it in 3D. A picture rarely does a car justice.

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

YOU GUYS UNDER-ESTIMATE SHELBY'S KNOWLEDGE AND ASSOCIATION WITH FORD...YOU WON'T SEE HTT'S NAME ON THE DECKLID, AND THE FACT THAT THE CAR IS SO HYPED, AND IN DEMAND IS BECAUSE OF SHELBY, NOT SVT. THE FACT THAT THE CAR IS GOING TO BE REGISTERED WITH SAAC IS GOING TO INSURE THIS CAR'S PLACE IN AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY. IF IT WASN'T FOR THE SHELBY ASSOCIATION WITH FORD, PAST AND PRESENT, SVT PROBABLY WOULDN'T EXIST.....

Trublu01

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
SHELBY AUTOMOTIVE IS ALIVE AND WELL IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA, STILL BUILDING NEW COBRAS, AND HAS BUILT THE OLDS-POWERED LIMITED PRODUCTION VEHICLE....I WOULD NOT COUNT HIM OUT JUST YET!!!!

That's Carroll Shelby International. What Shelby is today is a legend, Icon and whatever else. He is not GOD, he was a great automotive engineer, now he's living the life and making one last stand with Ford unless there is a GT350 in the future. In 196 whatever my old man and his partner did Sales and Marketing for Shelby Automotive when they were THE company. Look, I'm not dissin anyone, but the new SVT Cobra is inspired by the 60's Shelbys and what better way to make a little more cash than to call it what it is and have the icon drive it, approve it and whatever else. Long as I get one, I'm happy!

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
IF IT WASN'T FOR THE SHELBY ASSOCIATION WITH FORD, PAST AND PRESENT, SVT PROBABLY WOULDN'T EXIST.....
Repeat 100 times out loud in public "Thank you O. John Colletti for recreating FORD performance WITHOUT stickers,badge engineering and for going to war with the muckity-mucks who want to sell cars without real performance, just names."

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
What Shelby brings to the table, my friend is his 60+ years of being involved with almost every significant Ford-powered race car built..... from the DRIVERS perspective, in regards to engineering and performance handling......Thats a hell of a lot more important than deciding how the car looks.....It's amazing how some of you out here disregard Shelby's influence on Ford history and its products. If your too young to know his influence, then read a book on Ford and Shelby history together........
Thank you
+1

broeli

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
What Shelby brings to the table, my friend is his 60+ years of being involved with almost every significant Ford-powered race car built..... from the DRIVERS perspective, in regards to engineering and performance handling......Thats a hell of a lot more important than deciding how the car looks.....It's amazing how some of you out here disregard Shelby's influence on Ford history and its products. If your too young to know his influence, then read a book on Ford and Shelby history together........
Wow. Sorry but you are very wrong. Read this timeline carefully and tell me what you posted is accurate: http://www.carrollshelby.com/timeline.htm
He was really only involved with Ford products for about an 8 year period. He was only a racer for about 8 year in the 50's. I'll tell you what he is...a good business man.
You're telling me that someone that raced in the 50's, built cars in the 60's, and helped with the Shelby Chrysler products in the 80's is someone who should have a BIG say in how a current modern day car should perform overall? Maybe he is having too much influence because it's obvious that the new Cobra is still going to be stuck as being nothing but an overweight straightline performer :( What a shame.
Ford needs to step into the modern era and offer something that will handle, brake, and accelerate that doesn't cost over $100k. The Mustang CAN be that car if they would actually try.

Last edited:

Trublu01

Established Member
Another IRS person. The new Mustang platform has been proven on road courses by Ford Racing, Steeda and whom ever else. It may be a little over weight, but still has the balls it needs.

broeli

Established Member
Trublu01 said:
Another IRS person. The new Mustang platform has been proven on road courses by Ford Racing, Steeda and whom ever else. It may be a little over weight, but still has the balls it needs.

Yes. The new platform CAN perform and is doing great in road course competition. That's why I said the Mustang can be an overall performer if Ford would try a little harder. The FR500C and Steeda are great overall track cars but they also only weigh 3050lbs. Does the GT500 really need to weigh 800lbs more?!

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
broeli said:
Wow. Sorry but you are very wrong. Read this timeline carefully and tell me what you posted is accurate: http://www.carrollshelby.com/timeline.htm
He was really only involved with Ford products for about an 8 year period. He was only a racer for about 8 year in the 50's. I'll tell you what he is...a good business man.
You're telling me that someone that raced in the 50's, built cars in the 60's, and helped with the Shelby Chrysler products in the 80's is someone who should have a BIG say in how a current modern day car should perform overall? Maybe he is having too much influence because it's obvious that the new Cobra is still going to be stuck as being nothing but an overweight straightline performer :( What a shame.
Ford needs to step into the modern era and offer something that will handle, brake, and accelerate that doesn't cost over $100k. The Mustang CAN be that car if they would actually try.

TELL THAT TO THE SAAC, AND ITS MEMBERS, THAT SHELBY IS JUST AN 8 YEAR WONDER. TELL THAT TO PEOPLE WHO ARE FORKING OVER $200,000 FOR SOME SHELBY MUSTANGS... FOR AN 8 YEAR WONDER, HIS SHADOW IS FAIRLY LARGE IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY, WORLD-WIDE. WHY DON'T YOU JUST BUY A ZO6 FOR $80,000.00 AND TELL US WHAT A GREAT CAR IT IS COMPARED TO A $40,000.00 SHELBY GT500...ANOTHERWORDS, BUY A GM PRODUCT, AND TAKE A WALK......

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
So if Shelby gets his name put on this car I wonder how many old farts will buy these and stash them in their garages in full plastics or will take them around the block every other week and put them away.

broeli

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
TELL THAT TO THE SAAC, AND ITS MEMBERS, THAT SHELBY IS JUST AN 8 YEAR WONDER. TELL THAT TO PEOPLE WHO ARE FORKING OVER $200,000 FOR SOME SHELBY MUSTANGS... FOR AN 8 YEAR WONDER, HIS SHADOW IS FAIRLY LARGE IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY, WORLD-WIDE. WHY DON'T YOU JUST BUY A ZO6 FOR $80,000.00 AND TELL US WHAT A GREAT CAR IT IS COMPARED TO A $40,000.00 SHELBY GT500...ANOTHERWORDS, BUY A GM PRODUCT, AND TAKE A WALK......
I'm a big Shelby Mustang fan (fan of the old ones). I'd trade my '69 Mach 1 428CJ for an old GT350 or GT500 in a heartbeat :)
But what else is he really? I'm not saying he shouldn't be recognized and admired by many for the cars he helped bring us in the 60's..but this is a LONG way away from 1969..should he really have any say in a modern era car that SHOULD be far more advanced than what was offered and he built in the 60's? Is weight important to him? Is an advanced braking system important to him? Is a more advanced suspension system important to him? It appears it isn't. I know plenty of people would pay a little more for lightweight Recaro seats, lightweight aluminum/carbon fiber pieces, etc. He shows up for a test drive lights the tires up and gives a thumbs up. He's helping Ford market a car that is depending on his name to hype up a car that lacks anything exciting other than a more powerful motor.

Unless Ford makes a Boss 302 I will do just that (buy a C6 Z06), thank you :-D
I want a lightweight Mustang that will handle, brake, and accelerate. My last Ford was bought in 2000 for that very reason. I got into SCCA Solo II racing because I was tired of drag racing. I went out and test drove a ton of cars and wound up buying an Evo. It is the best overall car I've ever owned. Once you do Solo II autox or road course racing you will never want a one dimensional straight line performer again. The modern era Mustang should be an overall performer. So much for modern advances when it comes to the Mustang..the thing weighs the exact same as a big block 68 Shelby GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread