cars too low

stangm89

WILD BILL
Established Member
i want to raise my car up a little it scrapes on everything what do u guys think? and would 18 inch rims raise it up any?
2003kbcobra001.jpg

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Change the springs. Those look like cut stock or H&R SS springs. If you switch to H&R Race Springs it will sit higher.. like mine. I'm also running 18's, and no front ISOs. But, the springs are what you need to switch.

4xw0p5f.jpg

Last edited:

stangm89

WILD BILL
Established Member
Powershift03 said:
Change the springs. Those look like cut stock or H&R SS springs. If you switch to H&R Race Springs it will sit higher.. like mine. I'm also running 18's. But, the springs are what you need to switch.

4xw0p5f.jpg
yea thats about what i want thanks

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Powershift03 said:
Change the springs. Those look like cut stock or H&R SS springs. If you switch to H&R Race Springs it will sit higher.. like mine. I'm also running 18's. But, the springs are what you need to switch.

4xw0p5f.jpg

You are running the race springs, but did you change/take out the isolators? Your stance is exactly what I am looking for.

mosconiac

Established Member
Here's my experience with H&R SS with 17" and 18" Cobra wheels. These are the measurements to the top of the wheel well.

Before H&R (OEM wheels)
Front: 27”
Rear: 27-3/8”
After H&R (OEM wheels)
Front: 25-3/4”
Rear: 26”
After H&R (18” wheels)
Front: 26-1/8”
Rear: 26-1/2”

So the H&R’s dropped the car about 1-1/4” (front) and 1-3/8” (rear). The 18’s then raised it back up 3/8” (front) and 1/2” (rear).

If you want, you can add MM isolators and they will raise the car about 1/4-3/8". That could save you from investing in new wheels & tires.

1chance

Established Member
My car is also to low, looks like the front shock towers have spacers on them. It has stock wheels, and it sits right on top of the tire, i just got it.:shrug:

mosconiac

Established Member
The spacers on top of the shock towers have no effect on ride height. Those just gain back strut travel when using shorter springs (the strut is already compressed more than stock due to the shorter spring, right?). By letting the shaft extend more at rest, you get back to stock travel.

TheJeanyus

Established Member

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
If you want a less radical ride height, I have the perfect solution for you. I'll trade you straight up for my '97. It has the stock ride height. It's win-win. You get a taller ride height and I get a sick Terminator. Think about it. (Feel free to get hammered and make the decision while you're in your happier and not quite as rational mind :))

RedfireSVT

Established Member
why do people run H and R Race springs and then take the iso's out? just run the sport springs and leave the iso's in. i have the sport springs and love them and from the pictures i've seen they are no lower than people running the race springs. i guess if someone wants more noise coming from their suspension then yes, take the iso's out.

TheJeanyus

Established Member
RedfireSVT said:
why do people run H and R Race springs and then take the iso's out? just run the sport springs and leave the iso's in. i have the sport springs and love them and from the pictures i've seen they are no lower than people running the race springs. i guess if someone wants more noise coming from their suspension then yes, take the iso's out.
I only have a top isolator in on all 4 of mine, and it doesn't make any noise. The spring rates are different with the race springs as well, not just the ride height.

Users who are viewing this thread