Caster/ Camber plates Installation question

Omidster

Established Member
Hello everyone,
Despite my research, I wasn't able to find much information about installing the MM caster/camber plates. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to make the installation easier. The part I'm very nervous about is where I have to drill a hole to go from 3 bolt to 4 bolt. Any thoughts or ideas is much appreciated as this is the very first time that I'm installing these plates. Also, If you think I should have a shop do it please let me know.
Thanks again

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Do you have the installation instructions from MM? If not, you can get them directly on their website. The instructions for the caster/camber plates have really detailed pictures for the step of drilling the 4th hole. Just follow them step by step and you should be fine.

Remember, measure/mark the 4th hole location 10 times and drill once! Never can be too careful.

SpectorV

Established Member
i think if you flip the 3 hole stock plate around so its facing the other way (or side to side cant remember) the opening where there is no hole is where you drill the new hole. You can test against the template to make SURE of course. Punch the hole so the drill bit wont slide and scratch the paint. Dust will come out so you can come up with something to keep dust from getting down in hard to get places.

Jefe

Established Member
i think if you flip the 3 hole stock plate around so its facing the other way (or side to side cant remember) the opening where there is no hole is where you drill the new hole. You can test against the template to make SURE of course. Punch the hole so the drill bit wont slide and scratch the paint. Dust will come out so you can come up with something to keep dust from getting down in hard to get places.

Exactly what I did

And put a towel/blanket down below your shock tower. You will find lots of metal shavings if you dont.

KzooMuscle

Established Member
How do you calculate how accurate it is after installation until I am able to drive it to an alignment shop?

Jefe

Established Member
Visually is all you can do really. Gonna have to look at how the wheel sits in the fender and how much the strut is pertruding out the shock tower. If you cant close your hood then you need more spacers above the tower, if its barely sticking through then you need more spacers under the tower.

SpectorV

Established Member
after I got my CC plates installed (I was really low with H&R race) I pulled the strut as far in as it would go and centered the rest, it will be ok for a bit but dont drive to much.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
With respect to the alignment being good enough to drive to the alignment shop:

As others have said, adjust the c/c plates symmetrically from side to side. Put the caster adjustment in the middle of the slot. The toe setting is the only thing that can really cause problems during a short drive. If the front wheels are toed out or in 1/2", you could severely wear your tires if you drive the car 45 miles. It is fairly easy to check, but requires two people.

Take a tape measure and put it underneath the front of the car from side to side. Have one person hook the tape measure on one of the tread blocks on the tire. Have the second person measure to the same tread block location on the opposite tire. Do this with the tape as high up as possible off of the ground, without hitting any part of the car. Write this measurement down. Move the tape measure to the backside of the tire, just below the door hinge. Measure across the tires here the same as you did on the front. The front and rear measurements should be the same. This will give you a toe setting of zero. If they are within 3/16" of each other, I wouldn't do anything to drive to the alignment shop.

If they are out by more than that, you will need to climb under the front of the car, loosen the tie rod lock nuts, screw the inner tie rods a little bit the correct directions and then remeasure the toe. Make sure to do the same adjustment on both sides of the car to keep the wheel centered. Make small adjustments, only about 1/2 turn at a time. It is very easy to overshoot. When finished remember to tighten the lock nuts down.

Users who are viewing this thread