Cat back or Pro chamber?

V8Mustang

Established Member
Looking for the cheapest way to make a little more sound and power. The PC is by far the least expensive but just wanted to get opinions from those who have made mods. At some point, I would probably do both but for now thought I'd just do the PC (that is really all of the money I have saved at the moment anyway).

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
Getting ready to add Bassani catback this week and was curious what HP gain can I expect from this mod? Car is stock except for K&N fipk. Also, what is Pro Chamber?

mj8

Established Member
A midpipe, there are 3 basic types.

X pipes (catted and O/R)
H pipes (catted and O/R)
ProChambers (catted and O/R)

verbal

Established Member
hoghunter said:
Getting ready to add Bassani catback this week and was curious what HP gain can I expect from this mod? Car is stock except for K&N fipk. Also, what is Pro Chamber?

You should get about 20-25 hp out of a Bassani catback on an 03-04 Cobra. A prochamber is a H-pipe made by Mac.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Unless I'm mistaken , a mid pipe will give you about 5-8 hp. catback , depending on brand , looking at around 20-25 hp. Do the catback

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Do the c/b, your car will sound like crap with no cats and stock mufflers...

V8Mustang

Established Member
Do the c/b, your car will sound like crap with no cats and stock mufflers..

I had a '94 Cobra that only had the PC on it and it sounded killer. Ford put different mufflers on the GT than Cobra then and it kicked arse.

Alright, alright... I will get a CB. I have a few parts to sell on ebay to help fund it but I want something that is not too loud (maybe Dynomax).

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
V8Mustang said:
I had a '94 Cobra that only had the PC on it and it sounded killer. Ford put different mufflers on the GT than Cobra then and it kicked arse.

Alright, alright... I will get a CB. I have a few parts to sell on ebay to help fund it but I want something that is not too loud (maybe Dynomax).

IMHO stay away from Dynomax.. Not sure if it's the mufflers combined with the Xpipe on my car but it's freakin Loud as all get out and sounds horrible IMHO.

Maybe with the stock cats the dynomax will sound decent.. I should find out soon as I'm having the dealer I bought my car from put the stock hpipe on.. they sold the car to me with the Xpipe and Dynomax. YUCK!. I've got a prochamber sitting in the garage.. I might throw that on one day after I get a decent catback.. Most likely Magnaflows..

B.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
V8Mustang said:

I too had a 98 Cobra with only an H pipe for a while and it sounded decent... but these are 03 Cobra mufflers, think of them as steel containers jammed packed with steel wool, that's how they perform... hey, you asked!

V8Mustang

Established Member
I too had a 98 Cobra with only an H pipe for a while and it sounded decent... but these are 03 Cobra mufflers, think of them as steel containers jammed packed with steel wool, that's how they perform... hey, you asked!

Must be considering the power gains from the cat back on the 03/04. Non-S/C Cobras & GTs would only gain 5-10 with a CB and generally gained more from ditching the cats and keeping the stock CB but using aftermarket mufflers.

pld

SoOntRebel
Established Member
V8Mustang said:
Looking for the cheapest way to make a little more sound and power. The PC is by far the least expensive but just wanted to get opinions from those who have made mods. At some point, I would probably do both but for now thought I'd just do the PC (that is really all of the money I have saved at the moment anyway).
Cut out and replace the 2 OEM muffler's with 2 Magna pack muffler's and be done with it; you will open it up for sound and more power(on a budget).Leave mid-pipe alone (minimal gains until you reach high-horsepower). :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread