Cat Backs, Denesechgrs, gears

gordone

Established Member
Hope someone doesn't mind answering a few basic questions:
1)What are cat backs and why are they better than stock Cobra exhaust?
2) What is a Densecharger? I haven't seen it advertised but I've seen it in mod lists for a number of contributors.
3) I'm interested in 3.73 gears as a compromise between stock 3.27s and 4.10s. I've tried 4.10s on a GT and didn't like the "driveability". I checked my rpms at 62 mph=1800 rpms w/3.27s. If my math is correct, 62 mph w/ 3.73s would be 1954 rpms. Is there anybody N/A who has 3.73s? Do you notice a difference worth the cost of the mod? I have a quote of $1300 (which includes $200 wheel alignment) to do the gear switch. I do plan to install a S/C when the warranty runs out.

Thanks.

chassebr

Established Member
1) Cat-Back is slang. It is refering to the part of the exhaust system that includes the mufflers and tail pipes.
2)Densecharger is a name of a CAI (cold air induction) kit made by a certain company which I cannot post.
3) I don't have 3.73s, cant help you there.

Angus

Established Member
Originally posted by gordone
Hope someone doesn't mind answering a few basic questions:
1)What are cat backs and why are they better than stock Cobra exhaust?
2) What is a Densecharger? I haven't seen it advertised but I've seen it in mod lists for a number of contributors.
3) I'm interested in 3.73 gears as a compromise between stock 3.27s and 4.10s. I've tried 4.10s on a GT and didn't like the "driveability". I checked my rpms at 62 mph=1800 rpms w/3.27s. If my math is correct, 62 mph w/ 3.73s would be 1954 rpms. Is there anybody N/A who has 3.73s? Do you notice a difference worth the cost of the mod? I have a quote of $1300 (which includes $200 wheel alignment) to do the gear switch. I do plan to install a S/C when the warranty runs out.

Thanks.

$1300 for a gear swap??? That's WAY TOO MUCH.
For comparison, I paid $200 for all the parts & the gears, plus $200 to have them installed, plus $80 for a speedo fix box.

$1300 is ROBBERY!

Get the 4.10's for a Cobra - they LOVE the revs!
I'm not sure what year GT you had, but the newer OHC motors like ALOT more gear than the old 5.0's.

MC Cobra

Established Member
I can answer the 3.73 gear question. I had them in the car for 2 weeks until I ripped them out of there and put the 4.56 in. Honestly I felt a very slight difference, not enough to warrant that much money for a gear swap. If you want to feel your money being spent go with the 4.10.
A 4.10 in a GT and a 4.10 in a Cobra is completely different b/c of the power band.

gordone

Established Member
Thanks MC Cobra for the gear info. Everybody seems in agreement that 4.10s are the way to go. But, I do some hiway driving and I don't know how I feel about doing around 2300 rpms at 65 mph in 5th gear. At least thats how my math works out.
By the way, the GT with 4.10s that I tried is a '96 w/ off road pipes (w/o cats).
(I found cold air intake manufacturer info on Google. Don't quite see how it can be worth the effort.)

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
A exhaust, CAI, and gears are a great mod and well worth the money... I would also include a shifter, great mod, especially for drivability.

Angus

Established Member
(I found cold air intake manufacturer info on Google. Don't quite see how it can be worth the effort.)

Exactly what info did you find on Google???
Be a little more specific please....

A cold-Air kit - depending on which one you get - can be well-worth the $$$ & effort to install. RWHP gains won't be huge, but the extra incoming air will support other mods that you do.

Your motor is basically just a big "Air-pump" - the more air you can get in & efficiently get out - the more power you will make. So if you open-up the exhaust, you need to open-up the air intake plumbing as well to keep the motor functioning properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

gordone

Established Member
Originally posted by Angus66
Exactly what info did you find on Google???
Be a little more specific please....

A cold-Air kit - depending on which one you get - can be well-worth the $$$ & effort to install. RWHP gains won't be huge, but the extra incoming air will support other mods that you do.

Your motor is basically just a big "Air-pump" - the more air you can get in & efficiently get out - the more power you will make. So if you open-up the exhaust, you need to open-up the air intake plumbing as well to keep the motor functioning properly.

I gather the CAI I mentioned isn't made by a supporting vendor. I found the manufacturer on Google and went to their site and looked at the HP and Torque gains they claim. Also checked out claims for a popular exhaust system. Based on those numbers, it looks like the the real significant gains come with a supercharger. CAI and exhaust upgrades might be worthwhile with the S/C installation but for the money they don't seem to offer enough by themselves-at least for my $$. However, Angus, your numbers are really good for the upgrades you have done and I appreciate your input. It needs digesting.

Angus

Established Member
CAI and exhaust upgrades might be worthwhile with the S/C installation but for the money they don't seem to offer enough by themselves-at least for my $$. However, Angus, your numbers are really good for the upgrades you have done and I appreciate your input. It needs digesting.

True, "Minor" bolt-ons don't yield huge gains on cars such as our late-model Cobras. This actually isn't the fault of the aftermarket part(s) themselves, but is more due to the fact that the factory Ford parts are pretty good to begin with! This is true with most cars today, especially performance-oriented ones. Older-model cars had such restrictive, low performance parts on them that it was easy to swap something like the exhaust manifolds & get 40 hp.
I do agree with you on the cost per hp factor though - roughly $1700 is alot for only 51 hp gain on my motor.
It's good you noted that the parts would compliment a S/C very well - this is my eventual goal for the car & all the parts I have will only make a S/C more efficient.
In defense of the parts cost however, all the exhaust is Stainless Steel, the headers are ceramic-coated, and everything (in general) fit just like the stock parts. That kind of technology costs money unfortunately....

Good luck whatever route you take!

Users who are viewing this thread