Catalytic Converter - Please Help

levs302

Established Member
This is concerning the cat on my DD, a '94 sonoma. The cat is bad on it, causing the truck to run kinda rough and throw a check engine light. I am trying to not have to buy a new cat. My question is: if I punch out the cat, how will it affect the o2 sensor that is behind it? and if the sensor will have an issue what can be done to correct it? in summary, how do i fix the truck for cheap?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It's probably the 02 sensor. As far as I've seen, catalytic converters don't cause the motor to throw a check engine light.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
ford_racer said:
It's probably the 02 sensor. As far as I've seen, catalytic converters don't cause the motor to throw a check engine light.

+1

Especially on a '94

levs302

Established Member
sorry, what i didnt mention was that the cat is leaking. on a cold start, i can see the exhaust coming out from under the cat's heat shield (or whatever the casing around the cat is cauled). i was thinking that i could patch that by punching out the cat and running a straight pipe through it. i guess the cat itself is prob still good, but i dont know how else to patch it. if i were to replace the o2 sensor, would having no cat make the engine light stay on?

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I wouldnt think that older vehicle has a post cat 02 sensor to monitor cat efficiency.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
ford_racer said:

When they're clogged they do.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
When they're clogged they do.

That might cause something else to trip a code.

I have never heard of a "catalytic converter sensor" or anything else for any type of vehicle.

You have to have a sensor if you're going to trip a code...

Users who are viewing this thread