Catback question (not your typical one)

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
Typically, a catback is one of the very first modifications we do to our Mustangs. Believe it or not, with all the mods I have done for the last 7 years, all I have done for exhaust is an O/R X pipe coupled to the stock catback with Flowmaster Delta 40’s welded on. (Hey, I paid $50 bucks for both mufflers and had a friend weld them on. It was the perfect price for somebody on a budget at the time.)

Now that I have more extensive mods done to the car (ie: Vortech), I figured now would be the time to get real and get a decent catback. I’ve narrowed down my brand choices to Flowmaster and MAC. But the question I have is should I get the standard 2 1/2” piping, or go for the 3”? There is a huge price difference between the two. I can get a stainless steel 2 1/2” cheaper in most cases than an aluminized 3”! My friend insists that I get the 3”, but I’m skeptical of any performance gains since I’m already running a 2 1/2” X pipe.

Thanks in advance for any help!

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
I wouldn't go with either. I would go with Borla stingers quality, durability and they make power. Not to mention sound great. 3 inch will be too big for your car as well. Borla part #140067.

Last edited:

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
I wouldn't go with either. I would go with Borla stingers quality, durability and they make power. Not to mention sound great.

I appreciate the input, but I would rather keep the discussion on 2 1/2" vs. 3" for my application, rather than the brand of exhaust.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I appreciate the input, but I would rather keep the discussion on 2 1/2" vs. 3" for my application, rather than the brand of exhaust.

if ur x pipe is a 2 1/2". won't that mean that you'd also need a 2 1/2" catback to connect up to it properly? or are there adaptors for this...:??:

I'd recommend the 2 1/2" unless your pushing 550+hp tho eitherway.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member

Sorry stay with 2 1/2 it will support the power you are making. The 3 inch will have way more resonance, be hollow sounding and cost you power on the bottom end.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Since you are sticking to those brands, I'm assuming $$$ is a HUGE factor. Having said that, I'd go with 2.5" regardless of brand/series.

ThinkTwice

Slow 2V
Established Member
Since you are sticking to those brands, I'm assuming $$$ is a HUGE factor. Having said that, I'd go with 2.5" regardless of brand/series.

If you are stuck between those two brands go with Mac.

Well those 2 brands were my top choice because of price. I do like the sound from my Flowmasters, so I am partial to those. I have also heard good things about Mac, and they're decently priced too. Most of the other name brand systems cost way too much IMO. From what I've heard, Borla's tend to be rather quiet in comparison, and don't provide much more in terms of performance. They tend to be more expensive as well.

I guess is it even worth it to buy a catback at all? Will there be any HP gains by going with the 2 ½” setup vs. what I have now (stock piping/Flow’s welded on)? I know gains are minimal on a NA setup, but I figured with a blower I may see some benefit.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Def there is still some power to be had. The stock piping 2 1/4 and the bends are terrible. Most aftermarket kits the bends are much smoother. Flowmasters tend to hold in heat. I would go with the Mac setup.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
do you want chambered mufflers? I heard those hold back some HP, not much but in your case you might see a little difference

DsilverM

Established Member
Def get the MAC, best sound for a 2v. Go with 2.5 unless your pushing out like 500 or more

Swaie

Established Member
Go with a kit that has 2.5inch piping but definatly go with a straight through muffler for better flow.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I have a Flowmaster American Thunder catback and would only recommend the droning SOB to someone I didn't like. Everyone seems to like MAC and I will try one on my next setup.

C Pezz 23

Leaky exhaust FTW
Established Member
I have flowmaster american thunder and it is worth the money you pay for it. Its a good price for a quality product and it sounds great. Its not extremely loud like SLP but it has a great tone.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Well those 2 brands were my top choice because of price. I do like the sound from my Flowmasters, so I am partial to those. I have also heard good things about Mac, and they're decently priced too. Most of the other name brand systems cost way too much IMO. From what I've heard, Borla's tend to be rather quiet in comparison, and don't provide much more in terms of performance. They tend to be more expensive as well.

I guess is it even worth it to buy a catback at all? Will there be any HP gains by going with the 2 ½” setup vs. what I have now (stock piping/Flow’s welded on)? I know gains are minimal on a NA setup, but I figured with a blower I may see some benefit.
I completely disagree. But I guess it comes down to opinion.

Depends on which Borla system you get too though. and yes, a 2.5" new system will help.

blownfox

Established Member
Since we are down to those two brands I would say Mac and 2 1/2 for the piping. I've had dronemaster in the past and will never go back (IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread