CEL came on....questions/ideas

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Today I put my drag radials on the rear to go play. My buddy tells me I should get in the tune and change the tire RPM's so my speedo isn't way off. I get in the tune..change to proper rpm's and load tune. When I started the car I noticed a slight roughness in idle then it cleared right up and ran smooth. We head out and I stop to get gas. No CEL yet. Put in some fuel and pull out the gas station then CEL comes on. I grab programmer and check code and it is saying my intake air temp sensor has high voltage. Pull up the sensor in the dash LCD and it has 2 dashes. I pull over in parking lot and start trying to assess the information. I emailed Jon Lund and he said do not mess with tire RPM settings so i flashed PCM back to stock...then reloaded original tune. Still not intake temp reading and a CEL. I look through rest of gauge readings and i'm not getting oil temp either. Kind of strange the 2 TEMP sensors aren't working. Well with the CEL rpms are limited and launch control is a no go.

So mods are listed below in sig...and I have a CEL for oil and air intake temp sensor. With stock tune it is still not reading. After the car sat for a few i started it up...sensor came up at 50...read up to 52 then disappeared again to dashes. Any Ideas guys?

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
That is why, regardless of what I might think I'm changing in a tune, I've learned to leave the tune alone, and not mess with it.

Perhaps a stupid question, but you said you flashed it back to "stock". Do you mean you flashed it back to the original tune, or you actually flashed it back to stock? I wouldn't leave it on the stock tune with your mods.

Also, are you using an XCal or something similar? I would try clearing codes and see if they come back.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I returned it to stock just to see if sensors came back on. It has the tune for mods in it again. Yes it is an xcal3

jonesd

Established Member
Since no one else has suggested anything, I guess I'll throw this out there even though it's a small chance. When using the xcal on the s197 to load a tune it's been known to blow a fuse unless you do it correctly. You said it happened after you reloaded the tune, so just a thought. It's a long shot but since no one else suggested anything I figured I'd throw it out there...

Imatk

Established Member
If it wasn't doing that before with the new tune it shouldn't have done it after.

But if you were running the stock tune and it ran fine, then went to the Lund tune and it gave you a CEL then it's the tune.

If it is make sure to stay on Lund to get it fixed, otherwise you'll be waiting a long time. Well you'll be waiting a long time anyway even if you stay on them, but if you don't you may never get a re-tune.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
It did it stock and with lund tune now. Lund responded to me all night and even at 3 in the morning. That was some great service

bull3441

Established Member
MAF related, make sure the filter is on properly and the MAF is clean. If not load OEM tune and put stock parts back and see what happens.

Last edited:

Margate

I don't have my 13 yet (Ford says the end of this month), but on another car I installed a CAI and the CEL came on a bit later. In no way am i saying that's your prob, but maybe worth a look.

Kenneth

Established Member
IF I read it right,you changed RPM settings than went to get gas. after that the CEL came on?

After reloading tune and clearing codes, you may have to pur a couple miles to let the computer re-learn the settings in the tune.

BTW you did reset the RPMs back to original settings?

bull3441

Established Member
IF I read it right,you changed RPM settings than went to get gas. after that the CEL came on?

After reloading tune and clearing codes, you may have to pur a couple miles to let the computer re-learn the settings in the tune.

BTW you did reset the RPMs back to original settings?
That would have nothing to do with the IAT cel. The sensor is seeing more than 5volts, which is from low temp readings.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
RPMS were reset back to normal. I drove the car for 10 key cycles last night and 50 miles and no change.

Remember.......it's not just the intake sensor reading a fault. It's also the oil temp sensor. I find it strange that the temp sensors are faulted but the pressure sensors are fine. Also why would the oil temp sensor be malfunctioning as well if it was a MAF issue.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
This is what i see when the car is running.....
7182e2bf.gif

e8bbab18.gif

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
You have been running the Lund tune for a while with the same mods and no problems, right? Then after changing the tire RPM parameter you reload the tune and get gas and a CEL comes on? And same issue with the stock tune? Probably nothing to do with the tune.

I troubleshoot for a living and a very common mistake is to try and connect two entirely coincidental things and draw a correlation. I would be looking for a loose connection to the two sensors you are seeing a fault with. Possibly a place they are on a shared connector. Or a pinched/chaffed wiring harness. If you had the schematic for these circuits you could look for a shared connector. Otherwise follow the wires from each sensor. It seems unlikely both sensors failed simultaneously. Maybe they share a common ground or voltage source.

Or a warranty issue unrelated to anything you have done with mods or tune.

Last edited:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
That's what i'm thinking. Other things might not be working as well I'm just unaware of it as of yet. Since i flashed it back to a stock tune and the sensors still remained at fault.......i removed tune from the equation. I'm thinking fuse some how at this point. I'm on the verge of bringing it in to dealership but Everytime i bring it there they feel the need to go for a joy ride.

VaporDude

Established Member
Since you are getting 14.2 volts to the oil sensor, I would say the fuse is good. I would check for a bad ground or even a faulty sensor.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Well apparently my cpu is a neural net processor...a learning computer.

It decided to fix itself today. I was looking at codes in xcal. and started car. It went to 50 degrees then counted down to 0 and back to ---. Shut it off and started it again...it went to 60...counted up to about 67 then back to ---. Now the oil temp gauge was reading temp normal. Started it up again and it went to about 72 and didn't move. Took it for a drive and no movement but no CEL. I went in the bank..came out and started up and it's at 74 now. I drive it about 2 miles and it jumps to 88 and starts working. Not sure WTF happened but it's working fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread