Centerforce Dual Friction or Spec 3+?

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
I'm having a hard time choosing between dual centerforce or Spec 3+. I'm looking for a clutch that I can ride alittle to keep from breaking the IRS at the track. (approx. 600 RWHP) Which clutch would you suggest?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
3+ is great......... I recently upgraded after running SPEC3 since 2003
I don't really slip it much at all and my power level is far below yours, so my opinion doesn't mean much

are you talking about CF dual friction?

CF DF SUCKS!
there have been MANY reports of them failing after very short time and some of those were my friends who def knew how to drive (any clutch can be killed by stupidity...)

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
The Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is not good for anyone near 600 rw anything. I had an issue with a faulty pressure plate from them and their clutch lasted me about 7K, the clutch is very streetable and is in fact a nice kit, but I would not recommend running it at the track. The Spec 3+ is on a completely different level, it allows for nice streetability with a light pedal feel and can handle A LOT of power along with clutch dumps at the track, there are guys out here with 100+ passes on that clutch that drive it to work the next day. I went with the Zoom ZVT stage 3, just because I hear good things about them and wanted to be different lol. It's a nice kit and has a very light pedal, much lighter than the 3+ and the DF, it can handle the power too. It's acutally a nice design and how it work is pretty cool. I'm not worried about it handling a ton of abuse since my Cobra isn't raced.
www.zoomclutch.com and look at the ZVT clutches if you are interested

If I were you i'd also look into a twin disc, depending on want you want to spend, the Zoom twin can handle anything you can throw at it and will be the best solution. You will pay for it thought, but only about a grand.

I vote Spec

Helomech74

Established Member
I say Ram Powergrip HDT. Hands down the best clutch I have ever used. It holds power up to the 720rwhp range and it is daily streetable. I have a slightly used (350 miles) one for sale in the classifieds.

T.Bone

Established Member
What Is the street manners of the Spec 3 or 3+, Chatter, Grippy? Need to purchase a new clutch and I am looking at the Fidanza 4.3 or Spec.

Helomech74

Established Member
My 3+ is very grabby. It chatters a bunch in 1st and reverse, and it chatters every now and then when I down shift. Nothing too bad, I have gotten used to it. It grabs and holds like no ones business though. During break in it was very on/off and even after about 800 miles, it still has some on/off tendencies to it. I just had to adjust my driving style a little.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I just installed a spec stage + and a FRPP aluminum flywheel and so far it's great. Not too grabby, some chatter in first but it's dissapearing quick. Great setup.

69torino

Established Member
spec 2+

Hey Tim , ifyou havent made your mind up I just had village ford install my spec2+,fidenza aluminun flywheel, foire adj.quad, and and new cable with ldc freeplay kit. Im at 450 hp and this clutch graps hard but chatter is almost completely gone. BE happy to let you drive mine if you havent made up your mind. I highly recomend it.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
my centerforce df is burnt up after only 4k miles(the 4.56's and drag radials did it i think) what clutch plate could i replace it with that will last longer and hold better? my stock clutch went 79k before it let go and i got a couple 1.7 60's out of it.

T.Bone

Established Member
Hey Tim , ifyou havent made your mind up I just had village ford install my spec2+,fidenza aluminun flywheel, foire adj.quad, and and new cable with ldc freeplay kit. Im at 450 hp and this clutch graps hard but chatter is almost completely gone. BE happy to let you drive mine if you havent made up your mind. I highly recomend it.

Thanks, I will have to stop by and check it out. I would like to find something that will hold 450-500rwhp, but is not a stiff as the stocker.

69torino

Established Member
spec 2+

This is rated for a lot more than that but its street manners are great.Pedal also a lot lighter than stock. My stocker was at 71000 and was still ok but this clutch makes it feel like a different car. Anytime you want to check it out swing by, if the cars here so am I.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
My 3+ is very grabby. It chatters a bunch in 1st and reverse, and it chatters every now and then when I down shift. Nothing too bad, I have gotten used to it. It grabs and holds like no ones business though. During break in it was very on/off and even after about 800 miles, it still has some on/off tendencies to it. I just had to adjust my driving style a little.

Why would you go from a Ram HD to a SPec 3+?

BlownReptile

Established Member
Spec 3 + with a Fidanza flywheel here, and I love it. No chatter at all since its been broken in.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
BlownReptile, how many miles did you put on your 3+ before the chatter went away?

Helomech74

Established Member
Why would you go from a Ram HD to a SPec 3+?

The Ram clutch was in my 97 Cobra before the Auto swap went in it. I had bought and installed the Spec 3+ into my 98 before I did the swap, figured I would see what all the hype was about. So, far I was more impressed with the Ram Powergrip HDT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread