Centri v. PD - Not the routine question though

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
I can tell you that Centri cars are just as fast as PD.. I beat a whippled 04 with the same boost and hp as me same gearing ect.. and he was on DRs.. granted i'm a little bit lighter but he makes more tq.. get into a JT to Ysi or F1 blower car and the tq is there and a higher step up ratio in the blowers and they make power down low..

You cant really say that a cantri car is as fast as a PD car. There are to manty factors to consider when comparing one race.

The "faster car" does not always win the race.

I recently beat a friends low 11 second 500+rwhp Cobra with my wifes 412 rwhp H/C LT1 Camaro from a dig and a roll. Is the LT1 faster? Hell no! But I was able to use the power it had more efficiently and put it to the ground.
Keeping a centri car in its RPM range will help the car top perform as efficiently as possible.

All things were definately not equal between you and that whipple cobra. That is why I said:
If both 500 rwhp cars had the exact same gears (3.27s or 3.55s), weight, driver, the twin screw car should win every time

And yes, when you get into running a YSi or an F1, that is a whole different ball game and if set up right has the potential to put a 4v (or any well set up v8 for that matter) into the 8s:banana:

And thats why I'm planning on going with an F1c in my 03:rockon:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yes this is true.. Sorry I didn't word that right.. but centri cars have much more useable power and with the right step up ratio in the blower and the right gears it'll move out really really well.

sc98cbra

Established Member
I recently beat a friends low 11 second 500+rwhp Cobra with my wifes 412 rwhp H/C LT1 Camaro from a dig and a roll. Is the LT1 faster? Hell no! But I was able to use the power it had more efficiently and put it to the ground.
Keeping a centri car in its RPM range will help the car top perform as efficiently as possible.

QUOTE]

You have bigger displacement in the LT1, and tons more bottom end power.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member

QUOTE]

You have bigger displacement in the LT1, and tons more bottom end power.

Tons more bottom end power then a stg4 port 04 Cobra? IThat was my fault for not specifying what the Cobra was. My bigger LT1 only has 367 rwtq to his at just under 500. Even if he was a centri blown Cobra at 500rwhp, I "shouldn't" have won. His is a faster car, Period. I just was able to use all of my power "more efficiently"

It is a close friend of mines Cobra, and he is learinig the ropes. But the car has the potential. I have run an 11.1 @ 130 in it, so it deff rides out.

My goal with the wifes lt1 is to hit a mid 11 N/A once I put a set of gears in it and sort out the [stock] suspension.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Tons more bottom end power then a stg4 port 04 Cobra? IThat was my fault for not specifying what the Cobra was. My bigger LT1 only has 367 rwtq to his at just under 500. Even if he was a centri blown Cobra at 500rwhp, I "shouldn't" have won. His is a faster car, Period. I just was able to use all of my power "more efficiently"

It is a close friend of mines Cobra, and he is learinig the ropes. But the car has the potential. I have run an 11.1 @ 130 in it, so it deff rides out.

My goal with the wifes lt1 is to hit a mid 11 N/A once I put a set of gears in it and sort out the [stock] suspension.

So really it was just the driver desperately needs the driver mod. Thats all that comes down to.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I had a 2000 GT fully built everything and it made 708 RWHP with +22 PSI from a Novi 2000. It sucked.

It was only any fun in 4th gear above 5K rpms. You end up with a built motor with low compression so your torque is down. Then you add a blower with tons off boost that comes on only above 5K rpms and it all comes in at once. This would be great for a track car set up to get traction at WOT in every gear but not a street car unless you just like banging gears on the rev limiter and sliding all over the place. I took the same exact engine and swapped to a 2.2 KB which made 60 less peak RWHP but was 100% more fun to drive. Power EVERYWHERE. My current set up is more fun than my centri was with 708 RWHP. I'd go with a 03 Cobra. Also I spent $40K in mods alone on that car. I bought my current ride for $10K and have put maybe another $1,500 into it with used parts, tuning, and new wheels / tires.

also to my knowledge all centri bypass valves, or wastegates whatever all close completely as soon as you start making boost. So from my expierence you'll never get a centri blower to make the power curve of a PD blower car with a low compression 4.6

Motor3.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

709dyno.jpg

640rwhp.jpg

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I had a 2000 GT fully built everything and it made 708 RWHP with +22 PSI from a Novi 2000. It sucked.

It was only any fun in 4th gear above 5K rpms. You end up with a built motor with low compression so your torque is down. Then you add a blower with tons off boost that comes on only above 5K rpms and it all comes in at once. This would be great for a track car set up to get traction at WOT in every gear but not a street car unless you just like banging gears on the rev limiter and sliding all over the place. I took the same exact engine and swapped to a 2.2 KB which made 60 less peak RWHP but was 100% more fun to drive. Power EVERYWHERE. My current set up is more fun than my centri was with 708 RWHP. I'd go with a 03 Cobra. Also I spent $40K in mods alone on that car. I bought my current ride for $10K and have put maybe another $1,500 into it with used parts, tuning, and new wheels / tires.

also to my knowledge all centri bypass valves, or wastegates whatever all close completely as soon as you start making boost. So from my expierence you'll never get a centri blower to make the power curve of a PD blower car with a low compression 4.6

Nice ride no doubt. But I think you're low compression is what made the car a dog on the low end. Centri's can get away with higher compression. Granted you can't run as much boost (on pump that is) but a 10:1 motor with a centri would have a lot more torque in the lower rpms.

Having that said every single centri dyno I've seen (be it 2v/3v/4v/10v) all have about 300rwtq at 3k no matter what pulley you have on it. Thats why centris are more geared toward racing (i.e. higher rpms). But people see peak numbers and get all giddy and then get pissed about their centri not being able to pull trees out of the ground at 2k rpms. Its an rpm based blower, what do they expect?

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
So really it was just the driver desperately needs the driver mod. Thats all that comes down to.

Exactly! (that and the LT1 is a freak on the street:burnout:)

Thats why I used it as a comparison. 98 Saleen Cobra us his race against one car (the whippled Cobra) to to judge the differnce in how the two cars performed.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea all I can say is from that expierence. I will be racing a few more whippled cobras here shortly. My tranny and clutch are broken in now. In my race withthe first one he jumped a fender and then I pulled on him top of fourth was probably close to 3-4 cars i think. we started off in 3rd gear too.

Users who are viewing this thread