Centric rotor question

beef97

Established Member
Thinking of upgrading rotors and pads before my next HPDE in June. I've got the stock GT setup right now with Boss brake lines. Was looking into the Hawk 5.0 pads and was also hearing good things about Centric blanks. On the tire rack site they list:
Plain 120
Plain 120 Cryo-treated
High Carbon Plain 125
High Carbon Plain 125 Cryo-treated

Just wanted to know if anyone has any real world experience in the difference between these rotors? Also hearing good things about Raybestos, any comparison info? I've done quite a bit of searching on the net but haven't found many answers. Any input would be appreciated!!

cjd223

Established Member
What is HPDE? On a 1/4 mile drag strip I can help you. Road course no. I bought some R1 Consepts drilled and slotted front rotors from Amazon for $185. Replaced the ceramic pads with semi metallic pads. Car will stand on it's nose now.

noldevin

Established Member
Rotors won't make a ton of difference tbh. They'll all stop about the same so get the cheaper ones. Depending on what track you're going to and how fast you're running, the Hawks probably won't be up for a fast session. This is a heavy car and the brakes get HOT. I run carbotechs/g-loc (they're essentially the same) on the track. The plus side to those is you can swap back and forth between track and street compound on the same rotor, you just have to redo the bedding process each time. They are a bit more pricey, but that's just how things work when you enjoy the road course lol
Make sure you have some good DOT4 brake fluid that isn't 2 years old as well. I'm changing my old stuff out this weekend for my HPDE day in May :)

Last edited:

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
yeah, Hawk does the same thing with ther pads, I run the Stoptech/Centric rotors (Cryo sloted for me) and they have been fine. I run 5.0's on the street, and have done les than 5 track days on the 5.0, and they are not enough. You have to be VERY careful and let off 1/2 way down the straights as to not get to fast because the 5.0 pads just cant take the heat. I have the stoptech BBK going on this week and now will be using the Hawk DTC race pads... so those problems should be a thing of the past. +1 on the fluid, DOT 4 and fresh is key. Have fun!

14GTBrembo

Established Member
I have been using the Centric plain cryo treated rotors and have better luck than the stock 14 in. Brembos or the Centric 14 in slotted rotors. The Cryo rotors seem to hold up better and were only $5 more the last time I bought them.

The Carbotech XP10 pads did not work well for me - overheated. More aggressive Carbotech pads would probably worked much better. The Raybestos ST43 pads are working well. I do have cooling ducts.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I do believe Vorschlag says the Centric rotors work well for replacements for the vehicles equipped with Brembos from the factory....

noldevin

Established Member
The Carbotech XP10 pads did not work well for me - overheated. More aggressive Carbotech pads would probably worked much better. The Raybestos ST43 pads are working well. I do have cooling ducts.

How long have you been doing HPDE? I haven't really heard of XP10s being not enough for HPDE (many use them for competition). I only run the XP8s currently and haven't run into problems with them. Perhaps paying closer attention to braking habits would help shed some light on why they're overheating, especially with cooling ducts.

Users who are viewing this thread