Centrifugal or Positive Displacement?

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
Hey guys...i think im gonna go with the centrifugal...i just like the idea of how it builds boost with the RPM and not get a full on 9 psi at the drop of the throttle...

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by rocket5979
Hmmm no mention of the XB-1A supercharger? I guess since it hasnt been out for that long most people dont know much about it.

I had an XB-1 on my recently sold 95 GTS. Great blower but unfortunetly the car started to have too many problems. Anyway, the top end hit of the XB-1 was awesome; hit 4000rpm and the car pulled like a banshee. Combine that with my much lighter weight GTS and it was one fun ride. I could take or leave the low grunt of the Cobra even though it's nice to have. If I needed more power in the 95, I just stepped on the gas a little harder. I still don't get the rush in my 03 Cobra that I got in my 95. Maybe after my Lightning pulley I will change my mind but I guess I'm still partial to power of a good centrifugal.

Wildcard

Established Member
I've switched from a roots style- postive displacement blower to a centifical and I'm extremely happy. the roots style had a limit to how much boost it could make, and at high speeds the blower would top out. Now, my Vortech has amazing pull. True I don't enjoy the smoking tire thing with the amazing torque that the positive displacement blower used to offer, but I'd rather pull in the upper register than have it down low like i used to. Saves me tires. Anyways, try to find the right app. for you & you'll be happy.
Good luck

Route666

Established Member
I'd think that the centrifugal would end up being better for keeping your tyres in one peice, as well as melting them. If you WANTED to do a burnout, just get the RPM into boost territory, and bye bye tyres, at an extremely fast rate.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Guys,
I am also in the market for some extra boost.
When I go to both the Powerdyne & Vortech web sites, I see no reference to 2003 Cobra, at least that I can find. This does not seem good.
Kenne Bell prominently display their 2003 Upgrade Kits.
What do you think?

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Imperial Pose
Guys,
I am also in the market for some extra boost.
When I go to both the Powerdyne & Vortech web sites, I see no reference to 2003 Cobra, at least that I can find. This does not seem good.
Kenne Bell prominently display their 2003 Upgrade Kits.
What do you think?

As you know the 03's already have an Eaton positive displacememnt S/C. Kenne Bell has the only bolt on replacement for the 03's at this point. A centrifugal would work, but it will take some fabrication to do it.

Razor.:beer:

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Thanks Razor!
I'm looking for a low/no maintenance, high-performance upgrade. While I'm sure competing products are excellent, I get the sense from my Internet research (though I could be mistaken) that KB has a stronger install base, and is well past beta & field testing.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Thanks Razor!
I'm looking for a low/no maintenance, high-performance upgrade. While I'm sure competing products are excellent, I get the sense from my Internet research (though I could be mistaken) that KB has a stronger install base, and is well past beta & field testing.

Your welcome.;-) What kind of power are you looking for exactly? The Kenne Bell upgrade is for serious horsepower. I know from watching allot of 03 guys that you can do quite allot with the factory supercharger still sitting on top.

Razor.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
Razor,
I'd like to get 500+. Maybe you can sanity-check some of my "logic":

- Stock is more than enough HP to get me going...initially
- Eventually, I'll want more
- I have a 60-month car loan which to me is a long time
- Since I'm going to need more, and if I'm carefull w/ the extra-HP now, I'm thinking get it now.
- I also wanted to finance the mods with the initial 60 month loan, as I have the credit-rating today, but maybe not the mod-cash tommorrow.

As you suggested, I could also mod my way up to the 500+, either all at once, or incrementally. Incrementally would allow me to develope my driving capabilities, as I periodically enhance the car, vs having my skills lag the KB "big bang" approach. The tie breaker in my mind is that if I don't do it now, I'm not sure it would ever get done.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Razor,
I'd like to get 500+. Maybe you can sanity-check some of my "logic":

- Stock is more than enough HP to get me going...initially
- Eventually, I'll want more
- I have a 60-month car loan which to me is a long time
- Since I'm going to need more, and if I'm carefull w/ the extra-HP now, I'm thinking get it now.
- I also wanted to finance the mods with the initial 60 month loan, as I have the credit-rating today, but maybe not the mod-cash tommorrow.

As you suggested, I could also mod my way up to the 500+, either all at once, or incrementally. Incrementally would allow me to develope my driving capabilities, as I periodically enhance the car, vs having my skills lag the KB "big bang" approach. The tie breaker in my mind is that if I don't do it now, I'm not sure it would ever get done.

Anyone who drives a 500+ horsepower car on the street has no sanity (Myself included:lol: ). You can get to the 500+ mark with your car for much less then the Kenne Bell would cost you. Also there is a shop here that can assist you with that. Springfield Motorsport ( http://www.springfieldmotorsport.com/ ) has made over 500HP on an 03 with only a couple mods. I have seen this car in person several times. They are about an hour south of Columbia. If you want more info on them then feel free to email or PM me and I will fill you in, they tune my car.

Once you step up to the 500+ area there will be some other issues you will encounter. Traction will be the major one. You will want to get a wider rear rim and some 315 series tires, preferably drag radials. Some other issues to consider is clutch wear (Depending on your driving habits) and possibly a broken tranny. AFS makes a nice 10.5 wide rear wheel that will accept 315's and they are identical to the 03 wheels. Sprinfield Motorsport has an awesome modified McLeod clutch to support that kind of power (I have it in my car). Just be aware that more power means more chance of breakage.

Razor.:beer:

akatherazor4

Established Member
Razor,

I checked their web site and they look solid.
Thanks for the advice, especially on traction & breakage!

No problem at all.:beer: Trust me I know how it is to try and gather good info before modding your car. If you are thinking of giving them a shot on your 03 cobra and have any questions then like I said feel free to PM me. I can shoot you my phone number and tell you what I know about that shop.

Good luck with your car. I hope to see you at the dragstrip having some fun in the future.

Razor.;-)

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
No problem at all.:beer: Trust me I know how it is to try and gather good info before modding your car. If you are thinking of giving them a shot on your 03 cobra and have any questions then like I said feel free to PM me. I can shoot you my phone number and tell you what I know about that shop.

Good luck with your car. I hope to see you at the dragstrip having some fun in the future.

Razor.;-)

I can also vouch for Springfield. They did most of my engine work on my '98. They are a little higher priced than some you will find but you get what you pay for.

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
i wish i could find a place to get a good loan for a supercharger...im 18 and i really would like one...but i just have a lot goin on right now...i could easily pay off a loan...so im not worried about that...but i wish i could find a speed shop with a payment plan or something

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
2-V-K,

I hear you. If you still had any auto loan still outstanding, you could attempt to refinance your loan, and include the S/C as part of the package. You could try for a personal loan, maybe they would accept your GT as collateral. (just don't miss any payments)
I think there would be a good market & profit for shops that could provide financing for big-ticket mods.

Last edited:

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
i dont have an outstanding on the GT...it was a...present...since an unfortunate accident...not my fault..happened to my 91 that was running mid 12s at the time...i do too think their would be big profit with that kinda payment

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
TwoValveKid:

My grandfather cosigned w/ me and now I have a good size line of credit w/ a bank. You could get a cosigner, get a loan or line of credit, buy the supercharger + cash for labor costs, and then pay it off and build your credit. I'd say my credit has been doing good 'cause I always get tons of credit card offers. Just don't miss any payments and try to pay extra each month. This sounds like de ja vou (spelling?) have I already posted on this thread? I'm confused, oh well....and regarding the supercharger, I'd suggest a centri. since you have a GT and they have more torque than the Cobra does (comparative) b/c of the SOHC. Just my $0.02. :)

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
One thing to consider though is that you're going to wear out your hyper. pistons sooner. They may last a while w/ a good tune, but eventually your car will start smoking and you'll probably have blow-by, etc. You may want to think about upgrading your internals if you are serious about a power adder

Users who are viewing this thread