Changed oil, acquired the tick

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Changed my oil this weekend. Car has 4200 miles. Used a WIX filter and royal purple 10w30. It sound like a propane grill ignitor, it's very faint and doesn't sound like a rod knock. Seems to be the same sound that everyone else is getting. I can only hear it at low RPMs like when I am taking off from a stop light. It's not very consistent with the RPMs either. I would like to take it to the dealer but I'm not sure what they are going to tell me with my mods and if they go as far as an oil analysis and see that I'm not using 5w20. Has anyone found an answer yet to this noise?

wbt

Banned
Are you positive it is coming from the valve covers?

Could be injector noise. It would be difficult to tell the difference at idle.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
It's the same noise everyone else is getting. It's not injectors, they wouldn't be affected by an oil change. What additive?

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
i have the same tick, on cold starts i get it and while cruising at low speeds.. i thought it was normal?

SicShelby09

Banned
This is scaring me. Im at 3700 miles and was going to do a change very soon. Maybe Ill wait until the 7500 for the free one like Ford wants me to.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Im guessing its probably just a little lifter/ lash adjuster nosie and u now here it more casue of the fresh oil. if u dont like the nosie put a louder exhasut on hahaha jk guys, but i would not worry about it. my car has 10k on it now and i have done 4 oil changes with 5/20w royal purple and a motorcraft filter, and no problums.

scott_0

Established Member
I switched to Mobil 1 at about 800mi and I had the tick from day one, Im at a little over 1800mi now and the tick has vanished

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
It's not the cold start "knock." The noise the OP is describing is the "ignitor" tick that occurs after the car is hot, and it is worse the hotter the car gets.

There was speculation that the cars had an additive from the factory, but that was never shown definitively. Nor was it shown that changing the oil early was the link.

On my car, it happened right off the lot with less than 10 miles. The oil weight is irrlevant -- several folks have tried changing up weights and it had no effect.

Check You Tube under "Mustang Tick" and I bet you find your car's noise. Also, get it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread