changing alum. driveshaft

SELLSZ06

Established Member
i have this vibration coming from somewhere in my drivetrain. I bought a FMS driveshaft, how hard are they to fix? how long does it take? are there any tricks of the trade? Will I notice a difference?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
can you give us a little more info?

is it an aluminum FMS driveshaft? what's trans? tighten up all your bolts.

just switching them out should take a little over an hour. you'll have to drop your midpipe, unbolt the 4 screws that hold it on the rear diff. then pull it out. pop the new one in, reverse. and add some oil to the trans as per instructions and your all set.

as far as fixing them - it depends on how much damage is done. I recently had my stock driveshaft balanced for $40. haven't it put it back in the car since i busted my trans and am buying a new one.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
hold the phone, dropping the midpipe? says who?

the mid pipe can absolutely stay in place.

fwiw, i would get the runout on the FMS shaft checked. they aren't real good.

anyway, get a 12mm box end wrench and a length of steel tubing.

put the car in gear and yank the handbrake hard. then loosen the four bolts. (you will have to put the brake down and go to neutral to spin the ds to get to all bolts).

then just slide it out of the tranny. if your car is lifted fairly evenly, no or very little fluid should come out.

put some tranny fluid on the new yoke and slide it into the tranny. using loctite, tighten the 4 bolts to about 90lb ft or as tight as you can get with the wrench.

a 12pt 12mm socket also works, but i had difficutly getting a ratchet in there with the stock flange.

Users who are viewing this thread