Changing Inner Serpentine Belt?

Cobra-Master

Established Member
I developed a squeak this morning in my belts, so I assume it was the outer blower driven belt. I go to Autozone and buy a Gatorback and install it, but the squeak is still there.

After several four letter based adjectives, I take it to the Ford dealership and they tell me it is the inner serpentine belt that is making all the noise. OK, that's all good and fine, but they want $400 to change it. They say it will take 4 hours of shop time plus the belt cost.

Has anyone changed this belt and is it that difficult? I'd typically do it myself, but I've got a guy coming to pick up the car tomorrow since I just sold it, and if it's easy and quick to change somehow, I'd rather do it myself and save the $$. But, I'm running out of time before the guy picks up my car...

Any help would be appreciated.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra-Master said:
Thanks, that does help. Does $400 from a dealer sound outrageous or about right?
Looks to be labor intensive, so I think it's about right.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
breaking loose that stubborn lower pulley bolt is something that everyone will have to do sooner or later

the longer we wait, the harder it may be

I'm replacing my belt this winter

cobra23

Established Member
The All Data website shows 3.4 hours to replace the serpentine belt as a repair and 2.6 hours if it is done under warranty. The belt is $32.

So if you figure 3 hours, at a max of $100 per hour, $400 looks too high

Users who are viewing this thread