Changing Oil

52merc

Established Member
Its time again to change the oil. I hate doing this. The filter is in such a bad place and its hard to keep the oil from running all over the place. I usually cut a piece of cardboard and use it to keep the oil off the rack, but that is messy in itself. I've thought about relocating the filter. Is the MM kit the best way to go or is there something else?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have the MM relocation and I want to get rid of it. But I need a different k member first. Theres still some dripping even with the filter straight up and down. Reaching it isn't too bad. But there will still be some clean up. With my truck I've learned to poke a hole in the filter and let it drain. But the filter on that is at the back of the engine and easy to get to.

trxcobra

Established Member
Funny to hear you say this. I personally don't think the filter is that difficult to grab from the bottom at all. Sure, you get some spillage on the rack but for the most part it stays in clean-able areas.

I may just be biased since the filter on my supra is 10x worse to get to!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
This may not work for you, but I thought I'd mention..... Put a quart size plastic bag over it as it loosens up, and hold the bag in place as you do last few spins. The bag trick works good in many situations.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Funny to hear you say this. I personally don't think the filter is that difficult to grab from the bottom at all. Sure, you get some spillage on the rack but for the most part it stays in clean-able areas.

I may just be biased since the filter on my supra is 10x worse to get to!

Kind of like my 89 Bronco. Ford managed to put the front diff in the perfect position to not let the filter out. So I had to loosen it from the bottom and remove from the top.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
The access to the filter is good. Its the mess. I like the plastic bag idea. I'll try it when I change oil here soon.

Yeah man, I knew you were talking about the mess. I just wasn't sure if the filter was mounted vertically, which would negate the benefit of the bag. I use good, heavy bag, like a freezer bag. You should be able to capture almost all the oil if you're careful.

Stay clean! ;)

hanger17

Established Member
Try this...after a decade they start to crack;) still works though...feels like tin/lead -not a light piece of plastic.

Can't put a direct link? search Amazon for "
FORM-A-FUNNEL Flexible Draining Tool - General Purpose"

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Try this...after a decade they start to crack;) still works though...feels like tin/lead -not a light piece of plastic.

Can't put a direct link? search Amazon for "
FORM-A-FUNNEL Flexible Draining Tool - General Purpose"

$22 for a fold up funnel?

52merc

Established Member
Foil or plastic bag sounds like the best bet to me. No cleanup. Too cheap to spend that much money on a piece of bendable plastic, but that is still a lot cheaper than relocating the filter.

BTW, this demonstrates how expensive it is to be Canadian.

upload_2018-8-30_12-21-46.png

Users who are viewing this thread