changing shift knob

svt 500

Established Member
I found a color match knob that looks better than the factory white knob but I've read that they can be a pain to change out? Any tips before I scratch something?

SVT-COBRA

Established Member
You need to get a strap wrench with a rubber strap. It will grab the knob tight. You will need to turn like hell to break the seal but it will move. Try using the search feature and look for a post from iceman. It was very helpful for me. I did everything he did and it worked. I even reused the stock silver stem as iceman did with some modification.

svt 500

Established Member
You need to get a strap wrench with a rubber strap. It will grab the knob tight. You will need to turn like hell to break the seal but it will move. Try using the search feature and look for a post from iceman. It was very helpful for me. I did everything he did and it worked. I even reused the stock silver stem as iceman did with some modification.

I did a search but couldn't find a 'how to' so I'll check this out - thanks guys!

SVT-COBRA

Established Member
One other thing, that silver retainer is basically a sleeve over the shaft. It will come off with the knob. I wasn't sure about this when I was doing mine, but once it turned, I realized it. It is inserted into the stock knob.

jay38372

Established Member
Does anyone offer a leather wrapped shift knob for the 13/14 models? Not to keen on the current ones tey offer.

Slowponycar

Established Member
I found a color match knob that looks better than the factory white knob but I've read that they can be a pain to change out? Any tips before I scratch something?

photo_zps2182a6d8.jpg
[/IMG]

I got this in a set at Autozone for like $17. It took of factory shift knob with no problems nor did it mark up the shift knob. Get tool :idea:, I make my wife use it to open jars that are too tight for her lol.

JvKintheUSA

Established Member
The OEM knob comes off without any tools. I put on a black with red stripe Shelby knob I ordered from Shelby American to match my car colors. The only problem is that the thread on the Shelby knob and the shifter do not match -see the comments on their web page. I complained to Shelby American about that and thy sent me another set of adapters, but they were the same as the ones that came with the shift ball I ordered. I was able to mess around with it a little and finally had the ball on tight enough so it would not fly off while shifting, but it is not an ideal solution.

Last edited:

krman68

Established Member
Quick question - my GT500 came with a white shift knob with the shift pattern and black skunk stripes. I have seen pix of other guys cars without the stripes - was this a midyear OEM change? I particularly noticed it on a few YouTube videos made by dealers advertising their new delivery. Most were dated back in the spring summer....anyone else notice?

shelbysvt

Established Member
Quick question - my GT500 came with a white shift knob with the shift pattern and black skunk stripes. I have seen pix of other guys cars without the stripes - was this a midyear OEM change? I particularly noticed it on a few YouTube videos made by dealers advertising their new delivery. Most were dated back in the spring summer....anyone else notice?

The stripes come on non svtpp cars

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I literally ripped the skin off the palm of my hand trying to get it off by hand. Your car just had a step skipped or hae already been off for some reason.

BrettR

Established Member
My friend used a strap wrench and a 3 foot pipe to get mine off. They use red loctite on the shift knob. They really must not want anyone to take these things off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

LT5

Established Member
My choice would be a heat gun and strap wrench.
That's what the tech used while doing warranty work on my '11.
He wrapped a rag over the shift boot, my guess for heat protection.
By the looks, not much of a struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread